Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - How the heck do you simplify this expression?

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    228

    How the heck do you simplify this expression?

    Can anyone please, please show me how arccos(cos2x) = (- or +)2x +2(pi)(k)


    k = integer

    I'm bamboozled.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitosan View Post
    Can anyone please, please show me how arccos(cos2x) = (- or +)2x +2(pi)(k)


    k = integer

    I'm bamboozled.
    Because cos(2x)=cos(-2x)=cos(2x+2kpi)=cos(-2x+2kpi) ^^
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    228
    cos(-2x)=cos(2x+2kpi)

    What? You didn't even explain how you came about that answer. What is the reasoning behind this? I don't get it. Please repeat.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Hello,

    Because cos(2x)=cos(-2x)=cos(2x+2kpi)=cos(-2x+2kpi) ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitosan View Post
    cos(-2x)=cos(2x+2kpi)

    What? You didn't even explain how you came about that answer. What is the reasoning behind this? I don't get it. Please repeat.
    arccos and cos are inverse operators so they cancel each other out giving the solution of 2x. The 2kpi is because cos(2x) repeats itself every pi radians
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitosan View Post
    cos(-2x)=cos(2x+2kpi)

    What? You didn't even explain how you came about that answer. What is the reasoning behind this? I don't get it. Please repeat.
    *Ahem* You were given an explanation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Hello,

    Because cos(2x)=cos(-2x)=cos(2x+2kpi)=cos(-2x+2kpi) ^^
    So you were told:

    1. cos(-2x) = cos(2x) (a symmetry property should be familiar with).

    2. cos(2x) = cos(2x + 2kpi) (another symmetry property you should be familiar with).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    228
    Thanks guys. I didn't know that if cosx is within its inverse, they cancel each other. Is this also the case with arcsin(sinx) = x and arctan(tanx) = x? What about tan(arctanx) and cos(arccosx) or something?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitosan View Post
    Thanks guys. I didn't know that if cosx is within its inverse, they cancel each other. Is this also the case with arcsin(sinx) = x and arctan(tanx) = x? What about tan(arctanx) and cos(arccosx) or something?
    Yes, that is the case
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. simplify the expression
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 21st 2009, 03:40 PM
  2. simplify the expression #2
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 21st 2009, 02:51 PM
  3. simplify the expression
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 21st 2009, 01:57 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 30th 2009, 05:54 PM
  5. simplify expression
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 2nd 2008, 06:20 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum