I'm having a bit of trouble with this. The unit test is tomorrow morning and any help is very much appreciated.
Please explain how you got your answers if you're willing to help me. I don't think any of these are particularly hard and if I knew how to do these problems, I'd know how to do the rest, so please help me out. >:
First of all, I don't understand the law of cosines. I know the formula is a^2 = c^2 + b^2 -2cb (CosA), but I don't know how to use or apply it. What are the requirements for LoC (like, I know Law of Sines needs an angle and its corresponding side, etc.).
What is the Ambiguous Case and how do I use/apply/recognize that?
And finally, some specific questions I couldn't nail (even though they seem to be rather easy >:
1) Calculate the area of the quadrilateral shown below, where area = 1/2 (side1) (side1) (SinAngle):
2) Calculate the area of an equilateral triangle with a perimeter of 59.1 cm.
3) A triangle has sides measuring 11 cm, 14 cm, and 17 cm. Determine the measure of the smallest angle of this triangle (< ---- what does that mean? I thought it just meant what it said - find the measure of the smallest angle, but I got it wrong, so... My answer was: the smallest angle is a, where a is 11 cm and A is 38.2 degrees).
4) In triangle CDE, the coordinates of C are (4, -3), the coors. of D are (3, 4) and the coors. of E are (0, 0). Determine the measure of angle CED. <-- I have no idea where to even begin, here.
5) In triangle RST, two angles measure 40 degrees and 80 degrees. One side measures 17 cm. What is the smallest possible side of RST? <--- What does that mean?