Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Latitude and Radius of the Earth

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108

    Latitude and Radius of the Earth

    If the radius of the earth is 4000 mi,

    (a) How far is Fort Worth, Texas (latitude 33 N), from the equator?

    (b) How far is Fort Worth from the North Pole?

    (c) Fort Worth is due south of Winnipeg, Manitoba (latitude 50 N). What is the distance between them?

    (d) Find the linear speed, due to the rotation of the earth, of Winnipeg.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    From
    Trumbull Ct
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    27

    Re: Latitude and Radius of the Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuaa View Post
    If the radius of the earth is 4000 mi,

    (a) How far is Fort Worth, Texas (latitude 33 N), from the equator?

    (b) How far is Fort Worth from the North Pole?

    (c) Fort Worth is due south of Winnipeg, Manitoba (latitude 50 N). What is the distance between them?

    (d) Find the linear speed, due to the rotation of the earth, of Winnipeg.
    1deg along a great circle = 2pi4000/360 miles
    A point on earth latitude L moves in a circle radius =cos L*4000
    Last edited by bjhopper; July 6th 2014 at 06:42 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108

    Re: Latitude and Radius of the Earth

    Why does a point on earth Latitude L moves in a circle, radius= cos L*4000?

    Why not sin L*4000, or tan L*4000? Also, does this latitude mean it is above the earth surface?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    From
    Trumbull Ct
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    27

    Re: Latitude and Radius of the Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuaa View Post
    Why does a point on earth Latitude L moves in a circle, radius= cos L*4000?

    Why not sin L*4000, or tan L*4000? Also, does this latitude mean it is above the earth surface?
    a point of latitude is on the surface of the earth.
    Radius of latitude circle at 50 deg N equals cos50* 4000 miles or sin 40*4000 miles
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108

    Re: Latitude and Radius of the Earth

    Since we are talking about a moving point on the Circle, this is going to solve question (d).

    v = rw = 4000 cos 50 (rev / 24 hours)

    Am I doing ok?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    From
    Trumbull Ct
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    27

    Re: Latitude and Radius of the Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuaa View Post
    Since we are talking about a moving point on the Circle, this is going to solve question (d).

    v = rw = 4000 cos 50 (rev / 24 hours)

    Am I doing ok?
    You have to calculate the radius to circumference and then divide by 24 to get velocity in miles per hr
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108

    Re: Latitude and Radius of the Earth

    This means

    v = 4000 cos 50 (rev / 24 hours) (2Pi / rev) = 673 mi/h (rounded to 3 figures)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 14th 2012, 03:05 AM
  2. Radius of Earth
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 1st 2010, 04:16 PM
  3. Finding the radius of the earth
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 26th 2009, 09:17 AM
  4. The Earth Question (Latitude)
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 31st 2007, 07:09 PM
  5. [SOLVED] Latitude & Longitude on the surface of the Earth
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 8th 2007, 10:58 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum