Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi]

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    From
    heaven
    Posts
    3

    Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi]

    Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi], given:

    cot θ = -1/√3

    cosθ= 1/2

    I don't really need the answer, just need to know how to solve this type of problem

    I greatly appreciate your answer

    Thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    1291

    Re: Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi]

    First, it helps to write the functions in terms of sine, cosine or tangent. Once you have done that, make note of whether your function is positive or negative, take note of which quadrants that function is positive or negative in. Work out the focus angle (for the first quadrant) and then adjust according to whichever quadrants you need to be in.

    See how you go.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    From
    heaven
    Posts
    3

    Re: Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    First, it helps to write the functions in terms of sine, cosine or tangent. Once you have done that, make note of whether your function is positive or negative, take note of which quadrants that function is positive or negative in. Work out the focus angle (for the first quadrant) and then adjust according to whichever quadrants you need to be in.

    See how you go.
    I can find the first angle but then the second one confuses me, like how do you find the 2nd one?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    1291

    Re: Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi]

    Well in your first equation, like I said, put it as either a sine, cosine, or tangent equation. The equation is equivalent to \displaystyle \tan{(\theta)} = -\sqrt{3} .

    In which quadrants is the tangent function negative?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    From
    Ireland
    Posts
    584
    Thanks
    155

    Re: Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi]

     cot\theta= \frac{1}{tan\theta}

     tan\theta= \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}

    Therefore
     cot\theta= \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta}


    You know that

    \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}

    And
    cos\theta= \frac{1}{2}

    Can you solve these two equations for theta?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    From
    heaven
    Posts
    3

    Re: Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    Well in your first equation, like I said, put it as either a sine, cosine, or tangent equation. The equation is equivalent to \displaystyle \tan{(\theta)} = -\sqrt{3} .

    In which quadrants is the tangent function negative?
    2 and 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakarri View Post
     cot\theta= \frac{1}{tan\theta}

     tan\theta= \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}

    Therefore
     cot\theta= \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta}


    You know that

    \frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}

    And
    cos\theta= \frac{1}{2}

    Can you solve these two equations for theta?
    Yes.
    the 1st one theta is 2pi/3
    and the 2nd one theta is pi/3
    Last edited by Blast1309; March 16th 2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    1291

    Re: Find all values of θ in the interval [0, 2pi]

    Now you need to try to find ALL solutions in the given region. Like I said, think about which quadrants you need to be in...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 15th 2013, 04:39 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 22nd 2012, 05:45 AM
  3. How to find zα/2 values for confidence interval
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 17th 2011, 05:06 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 23rd 2010, 10:59 PM
  5. Find all values of x in the interval
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 4th 2010, 07:51 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum