Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Trigonometry - Angle Of Elevation

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    37

    Trigonometry - Angle Of Elevation

    Hi guys.

    Am currently stuck with this question asking me to find the greatest possible angle of elevation..

    Need help urgently thanks !

    Trigonometry - Angle Of Elevation-clip_image002.jpg
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor undefined's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,340
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by liukawa View Post
    Hi guys.

    Am currently stuck with this question asking me to find the greatest possible angle of elevation..

    Need help urgently thanks !
    It's unclear whether the BC at the end means line or line segment. Possibly it won't matter, I haven't run the numbers. Anyway find the point on BC that is closest to A, call the point P, then look at triangle PAD.

    Of interest is whether angle ABC is acute, obtuse, or right.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by undefined View Post
    It's unclear whether the BC at the end means line or line segment. Possibly it won't matter, I haven't run the numbers. Anyway find the point on BC that is closest to A, call the point P, then look at triangle PAD.

    Of interest is whether angle ABC is acute, obtuse, or right.
    How to find point P that is closest to A.

    ABC is an acute angle - 84 degree
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor undefined's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,340
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by liukawa View Post
    How to find point P that is closest to A.

    ABC is an acute angle - 84 degree
    Rounded to nearest degree, yes 84. So it doesn't matter whether they meant BC line or line segment.

    To find shortest distance from a line L to a point Q, look at line M perpendicular to L through Q.

    In other words, drop an altitude from A to BC.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor undefined's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,340
    Awards
    1
    Note: You can save yourself some time by using that area of a triangle (using the usual letters) is (1/2)absinC and also (1/2)bh^2.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Trigonometry World Problem - Angle of Elevation
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 3rd 2010, 04:12 AM
  2. Angle of Elevation
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 19th 2009, 03:48 AM
  3. Help with angle of elevation
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 29th 2009, 10:18 AM
  4. Angle of Elevation Help
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 3rd 2009, 05:29 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 28th 2009, 02:18 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum