Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Math Help - grade 11 trig - Fire tower, Fire and evacuation time...

  1. #16
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tangledcurls View Post
    how did you find the values for angles :

    <ftr = 35

    <vrt = 25?

    otherwise, I am good.

    Tks
    I am quite sure you can figure out the angles from what janvdl did, but as i said, i didn't use right-triangles, this is how i found them. i drew a pair of coordinate axis at T and R. see the diagram below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grade 11 trig - Fire tower, Fire and evacuation time...-angles.jpg  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #17
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    11

    Thank you!

    OMG! The fact that "T is NORTHEAST of R" = 45deg escaped me! I guess I better not do anything that requires knowledge of a compass anytime soon....

    Thank you guys, I really appreciate the assistance.

    Tangled curls
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #18
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    11

    Smile

    Now that I have that piece of info the rest is clear!

    Thanks again,
    TC
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #19
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tangledcurls View Post
    Now that I have that piece of info the rest is clear!

    Thanks again,
    TC
    It was a very interesting problem.
    Glad we could be of assistance.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #20
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    I just heard from my student, apparently the teacher said to skip it because it was impossible to solve! BUT now we know better....LOL!

    You guys are awesome!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #21
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    60
    gah! I was thinking along the lines of using sine and cosine rule but I never thought to encase it in a square to work out the angles. Very interesting indeed, thanks for showing me that.

    pat on the back jhevon!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #22
    Senior Member ecMathGeek's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    436
    Hey Jhevon. Good job on this problem. I did it the same way you did, but rounded a little less. Here are my results:

    The distance between the fire and the town is: 58.08 km
    The time it will take the fire to reach the town is: 7.26 hours
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #23
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ecMathGeek View Post
    Hey Jhevon. Good job on this problem. I did it the same way you did, but rounded a little less. Here are my results:

    The distance between the fire and the town is: 58.08 km
    The time it will take the fire to reach the town is: 7.26 hours
    i still find it amazing how rounding off figures can change the answer so much (i see similar things happen in my chemistry class. same calculations, but different rounding and the answers seem worlds apart). i guess the more figures you use the more accurate the answer
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #24
    Senior Member ecMathGeek's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    i still find it amazing how rounding off figures can change the answer so much (i see similar things happen in my chemistry class. same calculations, but different rounding and the answers seem worlds apart). i guess the more figures you use the more accurate the answer
    You might find the study of significant figures interesting. The reality is, we're often too lazy to relize the impact of the amount of figures we use in our estimations, assuming that they will remain consistant. Functions like sinx,  e^x, and even to an extent ln(x) and \sqrt x, are significantly impacted by the number of digets we round off at with x.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #25
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ecMathGeek View Post
    You might find the study of significant figures interesting. The reality is, we're often too lazy to relize the impact of the amount of figures we use in our estimations, assuming that they will remain consistant. Functions like sinx,  e^x, and even to an extent ln(x) and \sqrt x, are significantly impacted by the number of digets we round off at with x.
    yeah, i see what you mean. and now that i think about it, it becomes painfully obvious. with e^x for example. since the funciton grows exponentially, a small change in x results in a relatively huge change in y. so in that case, rounding off the x-values has a significant effect on the value of the function (given by the y-value)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Location of a fire
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 16th 2010, 04:10 PM
  2. [SOLVED] Holding a fire hose (force)
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 1st 2010, 03:22 PM
  3. Fire Hose (Linear... Wrong Answers)
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 20th 2010, 08:46 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 29th 2009, 03:38 AM
  5. Trig Word Prob- how wide is the fire?
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 15th 2008, 12:52 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum