Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - 2 Trig problems for Tuesday, Help please

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    15

    2 Trig problems for Tuesday, Help please

    1. cosxtanx-1+tanx-cosx=0

    2. 2sinxtanx- tanx- 2sinx +1 = 0

    Help would be greatly appreciated

    - Thank you
    Last edited by iamdenis; May 20th 2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: wrong question
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdenis View Post
    1. Tanx-4 tanx = 0

    2. 2sinxtanx- tanx- 2sinx +1 = 0

    Help would be greatly appreciated

    - Thank you
    Here's the first one.

    When faced with trig problems like these, what you want to do is first see if any trig identities can siplify things a bit. If not, treat each trig function as a variable, and facter as you would normally. for instance, the first one is:

    tan^2x - 4tanx = 0
    if we thought of tangent as a variable, say y, the problem would become:

    y^2 - 4y = 0

    that's a regular quadratic equation, you should have no problem with that. that is the basis of how i approached the problem. try the second one and tell me if you get it

    EDIT: i see that you changed question 1. anyway, it doesn't matter, the same method is applicable. try them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 Trig problems for Tuesday, Help please-trig1.gif  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    yeah i was kind of over thinking the problem that i changed, cause just as i posted it i figured out how easy it was. But for the other ones im not sure if im going in the right direction, for ex #2

    2sinxtanx- tanx- 2sinx +1 = 0
    2sin/cosx - sinx/cosx - 2sinxcosx/cosx + cosx/cosx= 0

    is that what i should be doing? or am i over doing it again? lol

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdenis View Post
    yeah i was kind of over thinking the problem that i changed, cause just as i posted it i figured out how easy it was. But for the other ones im not sure if im going in the right direction, for ex #2

    2sinxtanx- tanx- 2sinx +1 = 0
    2sin/cosx - sinx/cosx - 2sinxcosx/cosx + cosx/cosx= 0

    is that what i should be doing? or am i over doing it again? lol

    yes, you are over doing it again i'm afraid, lol. calm down

    2sinxtanx - tanx - 2sinx + 1 = 0 .......factor out the common term from each pair
    => tanx(2sinx - 1) - (2sinx - 1) = 0 ....now we have a common 2sinx - 1, factor it out
    => (2sinx - 1)(tanx - 1) = 0

    can you take it from here?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    yes, you are over doing it again i'm afraid, lol. calm down

    2sinxtanx - tanx - 2sinx + 1 = 0 .......factor out the common term from each pair
    => tanx(2sinx - 1) - (2sinx - 1) = 0 ....now we have a common 2sinx - 1, factor it out
    => (2sinx - 1)(tanx - 1) = 0

    can you take it from here?

    wow, i love how simple this stuff actually is lol, im just a bit to paranoid. thanks alot for the help
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdenis View Post
    wow, i love how simple this stuff actually is lol, im just a bit to paranoid. thanks alot for the help
    yeah, a lot of students get paranoid with trig. just calm down, take a deep breath and approach them with a cool head. if seeing trig makes you sqirm, just replaced them with a variable as i suggested earlier, and you will be able to think straight. another thing that often scares students is logarithms, especially ones that involve ln and e, don't fall into that trap
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] if today is Tuesday, what day will it be in 129 days?
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 26th 2010, 09:54 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 15th 2010, 09:12 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 28th 2009, 07:24 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 10th 2009, 12:27 PM
  5. Some trig problems =/
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 20th 2006, 04:31 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum