Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Standard Deviation

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    44

    Standard Deviation

    Krina works in a call centre assisting home computer systems. The average length of a call in her centre is 605 seconds. Her last call took 569 seconds. Her manager offeres a bonus for calls that are handled quickly. If a call is handled quicker than 95% of calls,a 2 dollar bonus is paid. What is the largest standard deviation for calls that would let Krinas latest call get the bonus?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dan123 View Post
    Krina works in a call centre assisting home computer systems. The average length of a call in her centre is 605 seconds. Her last call took 569 seconds. Her manager offeres a bonus for calls that are handled quickly. If a call is handled quicker than 95% of calls,a 2 dollar bonus is paid. What is the largest standard deviation for calls that would let Krinas latest call get the bonus?
    What distribution does the call length follow?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    44
    does not say,I am pretty sure it would be normal wouldn't it?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dan123 View Post
    does not say,I am pretty sure it would be normal wouldn't it?
    You're probably meant to assume the rule of thumb that approximately 95% of the values will lie within two standard deviations of the mean .... In which case (making several assumptions) you require (605 - 569) = 2 \sigma.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    44
    so you would have to figure out the standard deviation?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dan123 View Post
    so you would have to figure out the standard deviation?
    Yes, from the equation I gave you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    44
    so the standard deviation would be 18,but one thing I just don't get is its out of four marks,I couldn't see that simple equation being enough for four marks haha,some of the marking amounts on these questions just don't make sense
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dan123 View Post
    so the standard deviation would be 18,but one thing I just don't get is its out of four marks,I couldn't see that simple equation being enough for four marks haha,some of the marking amounts on these questions just don't make sense
    Possible marking scheme at the elementary level:

    Statement: Approximately 95% of the values will lie within two standard deviations of the mean .... 1 mark

    Correct equation: (605 - 569) = 2 \sigma .... 2 marks

    Correct solution to equation: \sigma = 18 .... 1 mark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Standard Deviation
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 8th 2010, 04:05 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 18th 2009, 05:14 AM
  3. standard deviation and mean deviation
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 16th 2008, 06:09 AM
  4. i need standard deviation help
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 22nd 2008, 06:03 PM
  5. The mean and standard deviation
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 17th 2008, 09:15 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum