Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Confusing questions about Binomial Distributions

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    83

    Confusing questions about Binomial Distributions

    Link: http://i42.tinypic.com/34jf7ex.png

    I seriously don't know where to start on number 7. And can you confirm that 6a) is correct. Thank you so much!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by krzyrice View Post
    Link: http://i42.tinypic.com/34jf7ex.png

    I seriously don't know where to start on number 7. And can you confirm that 6a) is correct. Thank you so much!
    Please type the questions out. It's annoying and inconvenient to have to click on a link.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    83
    2. Show that for a binomial distribution B with a fixed number of trials n and a fixed probability p = 0.5, B(k) = B(n - k).

    6. Suppose you flip a quarter 16 times and count the times it lands heads up.
    a) What is the expected number of heads? 8?
    b) What is the probability that the number of heads will be no more than one standard deviation from from the expected number?

    7.Suppose the following experiment is conducted: A die with s sides marked 1 through s is tossed n times and the number of times a 1 is tossed is recorded. After many repetitions of the experiment, it is found that the number of 1s tossed has a mean of 33 and a standard deviation of 5.5.
    a) If the die is assumed to be fair, what is the most likely number of sides it has?
    b) If the die is assumed to be fair, how many times n was tossed in each experiment?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by krzyrice View Post
    2. Show that for a binomial distribution B with a fixed number of trials n and a fixed probability p = 0.5, B(k) = B(n - k).

    6. Suppose you flip a quarter 16 times and count the times it lands heads up.
    a) What is the expected number of heads? 8?
    b) What is the probability that the number of heads will be no more than one standard deviation from from the expected number?

    [snip]
    Q2. You should know that B(x) = {n \choose x} p^x (1 - p)^{n - x} = {n \choose x} (0.5)^x (0.5)^{n - x}. Substitute x = k and x = n - k. What do you get?


    Q6. X ~ Binomial(n = 16, p = 0.5).

    (b) \sigma = \sqrt{(16)(0.5)(0.5)} = 2. So calculate \Pr(6 \leq X \leq 10).

    Quote Originally Posted by krzyrice View Post
    [snip]
    7.Suppose the following experiment is conducted: A die with s sides marked 1 through s is tossed n times and the number of times a 1 is tossed is recorded. After many repetitions of the experiment, it is found that the number of 1s tossed has a mean of 33 and a standard deviation of 5.5.
    a) If the die is assumed to be fair, what is the most likely number of sides it has?
    b) If the die is assumed to be fair, how many times n was tossed in each experiment?
    Let X be the random variable number of times a 1 is tossed.

    X ~ Binomial(n, p = 1/s).

    \mu = np \Rightarrow 33 = \frac{n}{s} .... (1)

    \sigma^2 = n p (1 - p) \Rightarrow 5.5^2 = \frac{n (s - 1)}{s^2} .... (2)

    Substitute (1) into (2) and solve for s. Hence solve for n.
    Last edited by mr fantastic; June 5th 2009 at 03:16 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 15th 2010, 06:33 AM
  2. Binomial Distributions Question
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 17th 2010, 06:18 PM
  3. Binomial Distributions
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 28th 2010, 01:36 PM
  4. Expressions for Binomial Distributions
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 18th 2009, 08:48 AM
  5. Bernoulli/Binomial Distributions
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 18th 2008, 11:14 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum