Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Thanks
  • 1 Post By Plato
  • 1 Post By romsek
  • 1 Post By Plato
  • 1 Post By romsek
  • 1 Post By Plato

Math Help - Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

  1. #1
    Super Member nycmath's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    From
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    6

    Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    Here is something you should know. If a student needs help with statistics and probability beyond the high school level, do not hire a regular math tutor. Hire a statistics tutor. You may ask: "Isn't statistics and probability math?" The answer is yes but it is a separate branch of mathematics.

    For example, if you have a tooth ache, are you going to see your podiatrist? They are both doctors but in separate fields. I find that regular math tutors cannot answer advanced statistics and probability questions. What do you say?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,614
    Thanks
    1581
    Awards
    1

    Re: Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    Quote Originally Posted by nycmath View Post
    Here is something you should know. If a student needs help with statistics and probability beyond the high school level, do not hire a regular math tutor. Hire a statistics tutor. You may ask: "Isn't statistics and probability math?" The answer is yes but it is a separate branch of mathematics.
    For example, if you have a tooth ache, are you going to see your podiatrist? They are both doctors but in separate fields. I find that regular math tutors cannot answer advanced statistics and probability questions. What do you say?
    I think that you are mistaken in the distinction you pose.
    If one needs to study descriptive statistics for business, economics, test & measurement, etc then all means a mathematician is not for you.

    However, if your object is to learn mathematical statistics, which does include probability, it is a set theory/calculus based course of study, then such a course is taught by a mathematician.
    Thanks from nycmath
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    914

    Re: Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    As far as I know there's no accrediting organization for private tutors so it's definitely caveat emptor. It seems a simple enough thing to ask when deciding whether to hire a particular one or not.

    I'm not sure how advanced "advanced" is, as you reference it, but I'd think most people with a technical degree should be able to bone up on prob/stat enough to help you at least through undergrad. Whether they bother is another story, refer to my first point.
    Thanks from nycmath
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member nycmath's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    From
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    6

    Re: Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    My friend recently hired a statistics tutor to help her daughter in grade 9 with algebra 2 material. According to my friend, the tutor has not been able to answer many questions correctly. Mind you, algebra 2 material is not too complicated.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,614
    Thanks
    1581
    Awards
    1

    Re: Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    Quote Originally Posted by nycmath View Post
    My friend recently hired a statistics tutor to help her daughter in grade 9 with algebra 2 material. According to my friend, the tutor has not been able to answer many questions correctly. Mind you, algebra 2 material is not too complicated.
    Well then, it seems that your friend just got taken by a scam artist .
    Thanks from nycmath
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    914

    Re: Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    Quote Originally Posted by nycmath View Post
    My friend recently hired a statistics tutor to help her daughter in grade 9 with algebra 2 material. According to my friend, the tutor has not been able to answer many questions correctly. Mind you, algebra 2 material is not too complicated.
    That's totally unacceptable. Can't answer algebra 2? I hope they didn't spend a lot of money on the bozo.
    Thanks from nycmath
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member nycmath's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    From
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    6

    Re: Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    My friend's tutor is actually a female who is also a student at Columbia University. A Columbia Unversity student having trouble with algebra 2. How on earth did she ever get accepted into such a competitive private university?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,614
    Thanks
    1581
    Awards
    1

    Re: Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    Quote Originally Posted by nycmath View Post
    My friend's tutor is actually a female who is also a student at Columbia University. A Columbia Unversity student having trouble with algebra 2. How on earth did she ever get accepted into such a competitive private university?
    I suspect that many Columbia University's students majoring is say economics. English, philosophy or religious studies may well have trouble with algebra 2. On the other hand, I have very hard time thinking of a student at Columbia University who is an accepted major in mathematics or some other "hard" science having trouble with algebra 2, it just not happening.
    Thanks from nycmath
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Super Member nycmath's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    From
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    6

    Re: Statistics and Probabiity Tutor Not Regular Math Tutor

    Plato: It happens and continues to happen.
    My friend said the Columbia Student could not answer this question for the 9th grader:

    Solve for x.

    (x+2)/100 = 200/(x+4)

    How about that, Plato?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Math tutor
    Posted in the New Users Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 17th 2013, 02:36 PM
  2. hello I am a math tutor at a high school
    Posted in the New Users Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 3rd 2013, 06:08 PM
  3. Business Math Tutor - SKype
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 3rd 2013, 05:48 PM
  4. Now hiring a statistics tutor in White Plains, NY
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 7th 2012, 05:44 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum