Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Spinner - using probabilities

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    From
    FL
    Posts
    39

    Spinner - using probabilities

    Consider a fair spinner with five sections labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The probability for landing on region 1 is one-fifth, region 2 is one-eighth, region 3 is one-third, and regions 4 and 5 have unknown probabilities. The spinner can only land on one section at a time.

    Describe the possible probabilities of landing in region 4 or region 5. Draw a diagram to assist your explanation.



    Can someone help me figure out how to complete this problem?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,923
    Thanks
    1762
    Awards
    1

    Re: Spinner - using probabilities

    Quote Originally Posted by jthomp18 View Post
    Consider a fair spinner with five sections labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The probability for landing on region 1 is one-fifth, region 2 is one-eighth, region 3 is one-third, and regions 4 and 5 have unknown probabilities. The spinner can only land on one section at a time.
    Describe the possible probabilities of landing in region 4 or region 5. Draw a diagram to assist your explanation.
    The sum of all the probabilities must equal one.
    If p_4~\&~p_5 are the missing the what must p_4+p_5=~?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    From
    FL
    Posts
    39

    Re: Spinner - using probabilities

    P4= 1/5 and P5=1/7

    Would this be correct? I can draw the graph using the sections. What do I do for "Describe the possible probabilities of landing in region 4 or region 5?"
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,923
    Thanks
    1762
    Awards
    1

    Re: Spinner - using probabilities

    Quote Originally Posted by jthomp18 View Post
    P4= 1/5 and P5=1/7
    Would this be correct? I can draw the graph using the sections. What do I do for "Describe the possible probabilities of landing in region 4 or region 5?"
    Do the probabilities add up to 1. NO, they add 1.001.
    It must be p_4+p_5=\frac{42}{120}~? WHY?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    From
    FL
    Posts
    39

    Re: Spinner - using probabilities

    Okay so apparently my way is incorrect of finding p4 and p5. HOW do I determine what p4 and p5 are? I will have to create a pie chart showing all 5 of my regions .. so I would think my denominator would be a whole number (2,3,4,etc) .. I am confused on the 42/120?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,923
    Thanks
    1762
    Awards
    1

    Re: Spinner - using probabilities

    Quote Originally Posted by jthomp18 View Post
    Okay so apparently my way is incorrect of finding p4 and p5. HOW do I determine what p4 and p5 are? I will have to create a pie chart showing all 5 of my regions .. so I would think my denominator would be a whole number (2,3,4,etc) .. I am confused on the 42/120?
    1=p_1+p_2+p_3+p_4+p_5=\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{8}+ \frac{1}{3}+p_4+p_5 so what is p_4+p_5=~?

    Now there is absolutely no way to know exactly the values p_4~\&~p_5~.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    From
    FL
    Posts
    39

    Re: Spinner - using probabilities

    Okay, I will just have to ask my instructor for further detail. If there is no way to know exactly what p4 and p5 are then why does my question ask to find the probabilities of it landing on p4 and p5. So apparently the question cannot be answered if there is not a way for all 5 parts to equal 1.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,923
    Thanks
    1762
    Awards
    1

    Re: Spinner - using probabilities

    Quote Originally Posted by jthomp18 View Post
    why does my question ask to find the probabilities of it landing on p4 and p5. So apparently the question cannot be answered if there is not a way for all 5 parts to equal 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthomp18 View Post
    Consider a fair spinner with five sections labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The probability for landing on region 1 is one-fifth, region 2 is one-eighth, region 3 is one-third, and regions 4 and 5 have unknown probabilities. The spinner can only land on one section at a time.
    Describe the possible probabilities of landing in region 4 or region 5. Draw a diagram to assist your explanation.
    That question ask for exact values.
    It says "Describe the possible probabilities of landing in region 4 or region 5."
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Approximate joint probabilities using marginal probabilities
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 23rd 2011, 05:04 AM
  2. another spinner prob
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 16th 2010, 04:06 PM
  3. Probability Spinner Question?
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 2nd 2010, 03:48 PM
  4. One Spinner 3 Colors
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 25th 2008, 10:22 PM
  5. Spinner
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 25th 2007, 04:29 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum