Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: binomial issue!

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    93

    binomial issue!

    the chances that doctor A will diagnose X disease correctly is 60%. the chances that a patient will die by his treatment after correct diagnose is 40% and the chances of death by wrong diagnose is 70%. a patient of doctor A, who had disease X died. what is the chances that his disease was diagnose correctly?

    pls help!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    7

    Re: binomial issue!

    Let A be the probability that a patient will die, and B_X the probability that that the doctor will diagnose the disease X correctly.

    What you're looking for is the probability P(B_X|A)=\frac{P(A|B_X)P(B_X)}{P(A|B_X)P(B_X) + P(A|B^*_X)P(B^*_X)}

    All the probabilities needed are directly given in the text.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie Flatiron's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    From
    AZ
    Posts
    10

    Re: binomial issue!

    I always lay out problems like this with a tree (rather than using the equation from Bayes' Theorem, which always looks more complex than it really is).
    First node is "correct diagnosis"/"incorrect diagnosis."
    Second node (at the end of each branch from first node) is "die" / "don't die."
    Two paths lead to die:
    1. correct diagnosis + die, with probability 0.6 x 0.4
    2. incorrect diagnosis + die, with probability 0.4 x 0.7
    Probability of correct diagnosis is 0.24/0.52.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. midpoint issue
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Dec 21st 2011, 04:32 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 15th 2010, 06:33 AM
  3. MHFzine issue 2
    Posted in the Peer Math Review Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 13th 2010, 01:49 PM
  4. TI - 89 TI issue
    Posted in the Calculators Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 10th 2009, 10:45 PM
  5. Log Issue
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 11th 2009, 09:09 PM

Search tags for this page

The chances that a doctor will diagnose a disease correctly is 60%
,
probability problem on the chance that doctor a diagnoses
,
The chances that a doctor will diagonise a disease coreectly is 60%
,

probability of correct diagnosis is 0.6 patient's death after correct diagonosis is 0.4. probability of death after correct diagonosis is 0.7 find the probability that patient dies and diagonosis was correct

,

the chance that doctor A will diagnose disease B correctly is 60% chance that the patient will die by this treatment after correct diagnose is 40% and chance of death by wrong diagnosis is 70% a patient of doctor A who has disease B die what is the chance

,

doctor and paitent with x disease probability

,

the chances that doctor A will diagnose X disease correctly is 60%. the chances that a patient will die by his treatment after correct diagnose is 40% a

,

the chance that doctor a will diagonise disese B correctly is 60%

,

the chances that a doctor bordoiloi will diagonise a desease correctly is 60 prcnt

,

the chance that doctor A will diagonals a diseases x correctly is 60%the chance that patient will die by the treatment after correct diagonals .and the chance of death for diagonals is 70% .a patient of doctor A who has diseases.what is the chance that hi

,

the chance that doctor A will diagonals a diseases x correctly is 60%the chance that patient will die by the treatment after correct diagonals .and the chance of death for diagonals is 70% .a patient of doctor A who has diseases.what is the chance that hi

,

the chance that a doctor a will diagnose a disease x correctly is 6o%. the chance

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum