Results 1 to 3 of 3

Math Help - Equation for a First 4

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3

    Equation for a First 4

    I need some help in creating a probability equation for an exotic bet type. I have found equations for exactas and trifectas but I need an equation for a first four. An exacta is picking the first two horses past the post in order, a trifecta is the first three in order and a first four is the first four in order.

    x = the percentage chance (in whole numbers) of Horse X winning
    y = the percentage chance (in whole numbers) of Horse Y winning
    z = the percentage chance (in whole numbers) of Horse Z winning

    Here is the equation for an exacta:
    \frac{100}{x}*\frac{100}{100(\frac{y}{100-x})}

    Here is the equation for a trifecta:
    \frac{100}{x}*\frac{100}{100(\frac{y}{100-x})}*\frac{100}{100(\frac{z}{100-(x+y)})}

    For example if x has a 60% chance of winning and y has a 25% chance of winning and z has a 15% chance of winning then the price for the trifecta would equal $2.67.

    Could someone please give me the equation for a first 4?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,693
    Thanks
    1466

    Re: Equation for a First 4

    Just knowing the probability a horse will win does not tell you anything about the probability that is will place or show or come in fourth so you cannot calculate the probability of an exacta or trifecta.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3

    Re: Equation for a First 4

    I realize its not going to be the exact probability of the exacta, trifecta or first 4 however an approximate is fine for what I am doing...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 11th 2011, 01:17 AM
  2. Partial differential equation-wave equation - dimensional analysis
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 28th 2009, 11:39 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 18th 2009, 12:51 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 28th 2009, 06:42 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 23rd 2008, 03:39 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum