Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Dice Roll Problem

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3

    Post Dice Roll Problem

    If I were to roll 5 6 sided dice (5D6), then what is the probability of me rolling the following 5 numbers: 1,2,3,4,5 ? Basically, what is the probability of not rolling either a six or a double on 5 dice? Thank you in advance for your help!

    EDIT: I'd prefer the answer as a percentage rather than a decimal if possible!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,792
    Thanks
    1687
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mathhelp2012 View Post
    If I were to roll 5 6 sided dice (5D6), then what is the probability of me rolling the following 5 numbers: 1,2,3,4,5 ? Basically, what is the probability of not rolling either a six or a double on 5 dice? Thank you in advance for your help!
    EDIT: I'd prefer the answer as a percentage rather than a decimal if possible!
    There are 6^5 possible outcomes.
    There are 5!=120 that contain the numbers 1,2,3,4,\& 5.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    There are 5!=120 that contain the numbers 1,2,3,4,\& 5.
    But how many of these are doubles (doubles including trebles, quadruples, quintuples etc.)?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,792
    Thanks
    1687
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mathhelp2012 View Post
    But how many of these are doubles (doubles including trebles, quadruples, quintuples etc.)?
    None of them.
    Each of the 120 outcomes contains exactly one each of 1,2,3,4,5.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks! So there is a 1.54% chance of getting exactly one each of 1,2,3,4 and 5?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,110
    Thanks
    68
    You were told the probability of getting 1-2-3-4-5 (any order) is 120/7776 :
    isn't that enough?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 28th 2011, 11:48 PM
  2. Roll n fair dice problem - please help
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 27th 2010, 04:47 AM
  3. Roll Dice Probability Pt 2
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 29th 2009, 11:30 PM
  4. Dice Roll
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 7th 2008, 07:29 PM
  5. Roll of the Dice
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 30th 2005, 01:40 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum