Results 1 to 2 of 2

Math Help - Conditional Probability

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    14

    Conditional Probability

    Mr B is a teacher at a high school, who is occasionally late for this classes.
    Mr B teaches two subjects, Chemistry and Physics. It is known that he's late 10% of the time for Chemistry and 15% of the time for Physics. Rumors from student said that Mr B was late again.. What is the probability this is rumor came from a Chemistry student. Assuming that 75% are doing Chemistry and 25% are doing Physics. (Note: no students take both subjects)
    Last edited by mr fantastic; May 1st 2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Re-titled.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by shiiganB View Post
    Mr B is a teacher at a high school, who is occasionally late for this classes.
    Mr B teaches two subjects, Chemistry and Physics. It is known that he's late 10% of the time for Chemistry and 15% of the time for Physics. Rumors from student said that Mr B was late again.. What is the probability this is rumor came from a Chemistry student. Assuming that 75% are doing Chemistry and 25% are doing Physics. (Note: no students take both subjects)
    Draw a tree diagram and then apply Bayes Theorem. If you need more help, please show your working and say where you're stuck.

    (You will find plenty of questions like this one if you search this subforum - using the Search tool might help).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 22nd 2011, 01:39 AM
  2. Conditional Probability
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 25th 2011, 09:04 AM
  3. Conditional Probability using the Law of Total Probability
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 7th 2010, 03:01 AM
  4. Conditional probability
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 8th 2010, 04:37 AM
  5. Continuous probability - conditional probability
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 1st 2009, 01:21 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum