Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Median Line for Class interval

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2

    Median Line for Class interval

    Hi i am new to statistics and have the following table

    Class Interval Mid-value Frequency Mid-value X
    (No of Letters) Frequency
    1-3 2 57 114
    4-6 5 46 230
    7-9 8 28 224
    10-12 11 6 66
    13-15 14 3 42

    I have three questions I need to get, I have got question 1 i think, but am not sure how to work out the rest.

    Can anyone help please.

    i) Which is the modal class interval? = 57
    ii) In which class interval does the median lie?
    iii) Calculate the mean word length.

    Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    West Malaysia
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyB View Post
    Hi i am new to statistics and have the following table

    Class Interval Mid-value Frequency Mid-value X
    (No of Letters) Frequency
    1-3 2 57 114
    4-6 5 46 230
    7-9 8 28 224
    10-12 11 6 66
    13-15 14 3 42

    I have three questions I need to get, I have got question 1 i think, but am not sure how to work out the rest.

    Can anyone help please.

    i) Which is the modal class interval? = 57
    ii) In which class interval does the median lie?
    iii) Calculate the mean word length.

    Thanks
    hi

    (1) 57 is the frequency of the modal class interval , what is the class interval ?

    (2) do u know how to calculate the median using the formula ?

    (3) mean= \frac{\sum fx}{\sum f} , where you take x as the midpoints of each classes.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2

    Help

    Nevr used formula's I am trying to work out in which class the meadian line is in.

    Stacey





    Quote Originally Posted by mathaddict View Post
    hi

    (1) 57 is the frequency of the modal class interval , what is the class interval ?

    (2) do u know how to calculate the median using the formula ?

    (3) mean= \frac{\sum fx}{\sum f} , where you take x as the midpoints of each classes.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    West Malaysia
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyB View Post
    Nevr used formula's I am trying to work out in which class the meadian line is in.

    Stacey
    make another column with the cummulative frequencies . Take the total frequency divided by 2 and see it lies in which cummulative frequency .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 21st 2011, 06:13 PM
  2. interval on real number line
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 28th 2010, 05:26 PM
  3. STATISTICS PROBLEM (Class Interval)
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 22nd 2009, 04:39 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 30th 2009, 03:12 AM
  5. conjugacy class and class equation
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 1st 2009, 06:52 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum