Results 1 to 2 of 2

Math Help - Probability of screening

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2

    Probability of screening

    Sara is a frequent business traveler. For security purposes, 10% of all people boarding airplanes are randomly selected for additional screening just prior to boarding. What is the probability that the first time Sara is selected for screening is on her third flight?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelliza1 View Post
    Sara is a frequent business traveler. For security purposes, 10% of all people boarding airplanes are randomly selected for additional screening just prior to boarding. What is the probability that the first time Sara is selected for screening is on her third flight?
    She is passed over on the first 2 flights and screened on the 3rd in this case.

    She has a 10% chance of being screened, hence a 90% chance of being passed over.

    Therefore

    passed over and passed over and then screened

    has what probability of happening ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. TOTO Game Screening
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 14th 2011, 06:29 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 22nd 2011, 08:21 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 29th 2010, 08:29 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 18th 2010, 02:54 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 15th 2009, 07:30 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum