Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Normal Distribution question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    58

    Normal Distribution question

    I am stuck on this question, I don't exactly know how to approach it. Thanks for any advice.

    The fill volume of an automated filling machine used for filling cans of carbonated beverage is normally distributed. Suppose that the mean of the filling operation can be adjusted easily, but the standard deviation remains at 0.1 ounce.

    a) At what value should the mean be set so that 99.9% of all cans exceed 12 ounces?

    b) At what value should the mean be set so that 99.9% of all cans exceed 12 ounces if the standard deviation can be reduced to 0.05 fluid ounce?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivionwarrior View Post
    I am stuck on this question, I don't exactly know how to approach it. Thanks for any advice.

    The fill volume of an automated filling machine used for filling cans of carbonated beverage is normally distributed. Suppose that the mean of the filling operation can be adjusted easily, but the standard deviation remains at 0.1 ounce.

    a) At what value should the mean be set so that 99.9% of all cans exceed 12 ounces?

    b) At what value should the mean be set so that 99.9% of all cans exceed 12 ounces if the standard deviation can be reduced to 0.05 fluid ounce?
    Here is (a). Think about (b).

    You know that \Pr(X < 12) = 0.01. Get (using tables or however you've been taught) the value of z* such that \Pr(Z < z^*) < 0.01.

    Then Z = \frac{X - \mu}{\sigma} \Rightarrow z^* = \frac{12 - \mu}{0.1}. Solve for \mu.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    58
    Thanks. I have another quick question. It isn't related to one posted earlier. I want to know if I am doing this correctly.

    Assume X is normally distributed with a mean of 13 and a standard deviation of 2. Determine the value for x that solves each of the following

    If the question asks P(X > x) = 0.95

    My steps(not sure if they are correct)

    P(X > x) = 0.95
    1 - P(X < x) = 0.95
    1 - P(Z < (x - 13)/2) = 0.95
    P(Z < (x - 13)/2) = 0.05

    now, looking at the z-chart to find the value which corresponds to the probability 0.05 I find it to be approximately -1.64. So,

    (x - 13)/2 = -1.64, x = 9.72

    Are these steps correct? Or is something wrong? Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivionwarrior View Post
    Thanks. I have another quick question. It isn't related to one posted earlier. I want to know if I am doing this correctly.

    Assume X is normally distributed with a mean of 13 and a standard deviation of 2. Determine the value for x that solves each of the following

    If the question asks P(X > x) = 0.95

    My steps(not sure if they are correct)

    P(X > x) = 0.95
    1 - P(X < x) = 0.95
    1 - P(Z < (x - 13)/2) = 0.95
    P(Z < (x - 13)/2) = 0.05

    now, looking at the z-chart to find the value which corresponds to the probability 0.05 I find it to be approximately -1.64. So,

    (x - 13)/2 = -1.64, x = 9.72

    Are these steps correct? Or is something wrong? Thanks.
    correct !
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    58
    I have one more question regarding the one I posted above. How exactly would I go about finding x for this question?

    P(-x < X - 13 < x) = 0.95

    would I add 13 to both sides so its like P(-x + 13 < X < x + 13)?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivionwarrior View Post
    I have one more question regarding the one I posted above. How exactly would I go about finding x for this question?

    P(-x < X - 13 < x) = 0.95

    would I add 13 to both sides so its like P(-x + 13 < X < x + 13)?
    Yes, that's one way of doing it. Now note that \Pr(X > x + 13) = 0.025 So find a value z^* of Z such that \Pr(Z > z^*) = 0.025 and then solve z^* = \frac{(x + 13) - 13}{2}.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Normal Distribution question
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 31st 2011, 07:49 PM
  2. Normal Distribution question
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 16th 2010, 06:11 AM
  3. Normal distribution question
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 9th 2009, 08:13 PM
  4. Normal distribution Question
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 8th 2009, 04:39 AM
  5. help with normal distribution question
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 6th 2008, 10:19 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum