Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Finite Difference of Polynomial Functions..

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    37

    Finite Difference of Polynomial Functions..

    My book is talking about 1st, 2nd and 3rd difference of a function with nowhere an explanation what it means. I've tried to Google it, but nothing relevant comes up.

    It's asking me to find the 3rd difference for equation: f(x)=2x^3-6x+5

    Then the next pages shows a table, with values between -3 and 3 for x, and values for f(x). The next column is 1st differences, then 2nd differences, and finally 3rd differences.
    It looks like you just subtract the values from one column to get the result for the next column?

    Then it is expecting me to know what the 3rd difference result should be by looking at the equation..Huh?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,110
    Thanks
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoBasic View Post
    My book is talking about 1st, 2nd and 3rd difference of a function with nowhere an explanation what it means. I've tried to Google it, but nothing relevant comes up.

    It's asking me to find the 3rd difference for equation: f(x)=2x^3-6x+5

    Then the next pages shows a table, with values between -3 and 3 for x, and values for f(x). The next column is 1st differences, then 2nd differences, and finally 3rd differences.
    It looks like you just subtract the values from one column to get the result for the next column?

    Then it is expecting me to know what the 3rd difference result should be by looking at the equation..Huh?
    see what Dr. Math says about finite differences ...

    Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    see what Dr. Math says about finite differences ...

    Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math
    OK, so it appears that I was correct about it just being a matter of subtracting the terms to get the result for the next difference.
    So now I've found that the 3rd difference is 12 (constant). What does that mean?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,110
    Thanks
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoBasic View Post
    OK, so it appears that I was correct about it just being a matter of subtracting the terms to get the result for the next difference.
    So now I've found that the 3rd difference is 12 (constant). What does that mean?
    when the third set of differences is a constant, it tells you that the function values can be modeled by a cubic (3rd degree) polynomial.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    when the third set of differences is a constant, it tells you that the function values can be modeled by a cubic (3rd degree) polynomial.
    That we would know from looking at the leading coefficient's degree?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,110
    Thanks
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoBasic View Post
    That we would know from looking at the leading coefficient's degree?
    yes, but the idea is that you only have the function values and are working backwards ... you do not start with the polynomial in front of you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    37
    Interesting, thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 12th 2011, 02:39 AM
  2. Finite Difference Problem
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 21st 2009, 04:02 PM
  3. Explicit Finite difference
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 1st 2009, 08:12 AM
  4. difference between finite element/finite difference method
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 2nd 2008, 12:03 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 11th 2008, 03:24 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum