Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - function graphs

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    221

    Post function graphs

    How would I graph these two functions on a calculator?
    I need to find domain, range, zeros, etc., along with a sketch of graph. Or would it be easier to graph by hand? how? Thanks!


    f(x) = log_2x

    f(x) =\sqrt{a^2-x^2}
    Last edited by live_laugh_luv27; August 6th 2009 at 08:04 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Banned
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by live_laugh_luv27 View Post
    How would I graph these two graphs on a calculator?
    I need to find domain, range, zeros, etc., along with a sketch of graph. Or would it be easier to graph by hand? how? Thanks!


    f(x) = log_2x

    f(x) =\sqrt{a^2-x^2}
    The first one can be put in as \frac{\log{x}}{\log{2}} into the calculator

    The second one is no good with a calculator because there are two variables. Sketch it by hand and you can find intercepts that depend on the value of a (y=0 at x=a,-a and x=0 when y=a). You can find the domain by making sure the what is under the radical is \geq 0 and you can find the range by solving the equation for x, and then finding the domain of that new function (you are finding the domain of the inverse function)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member dhiab's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    ALGERIA
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay11 View Post
    The first one can be put in as \frac{\log{x}}{\log{2}} into the calculator

    The second one is no good with a calculator because there are two variables. Sketch it by hand and you can find intercepts that depend on the value of a (y=0 at x=a,-a and x=0 when y=a). You can find the domain by making sure the what is under the radical is \geq 0 and you can find the range by solving the equation for x, and then finding the domain of that new function (you are finding the domain of the inverse function)
    Hello : thank you
    I"think a is the parameter no variable.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor Amer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    Jordan
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by live_laugh_luv27 View Post
    How would I graph these two functions on a calculator?
    I need to find domain, range, zeros, etc., along with a sketch of graph. Or would it be easier to graph by hand? how? Thanks!


    f(x) = log_2x

    f(x) =\sqrt{a^2-x^2}
    the second one

    y=\sqrt{a^2-x^2} it is the upper semi circle of the circle y^2+x^2=a^2 intersect with the x-axis at the points x=a and x=-a
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    221

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Amer View Post
    the second one

    y=\sqrt{a^2-x^2} it is the upper semi circle of the circle y^2+x^2=a^2 intersect with the x-axis at the points x=a and x=-a
    ok..How would I set up the axes?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor Amer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    Jordan
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by live_laugh_luv27 View Post
    ok..How would I set up the axes?
    like this

    function graphs-semicircle.jpg
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    221

    Post

    I'm still confused about this graph...

    I need to find domain, range, even/odd etc.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor Amer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    Jordan
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by live_laugh_luv27 View Post
    I'm still confused about this graph...

    I need to find domain, range, even/odd etc.
    Treat a like a real number

    Domain 0 \leq a^2-x^2 \Rightarrow -a\leq x\leq a

    Range x^2+y^2 \leq a^2 with 0 \leq y \leq a

    f(x)=f(-x) so the function is even
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    221

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Amer View Post
    Treat a like a real number

    Domain 0 \leq a^2-x^2 \Rightarrow -a\leq x\leq a

    Range x^2+y^2 \leq a^2 with 0 \leq y \leq a

    f(x)=f(-x) so the function is even
    wow, can't believe I didn't see that. Thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. The Graphs of Function and Relation
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 26th 2011, 03:29 AM
  2. concerning the graphs of a function
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 25th 2009, 10:19 AM
  3. [SOLVED] Trig Function Graphs
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 5th 2009, 06:53 PM
  4. invertible function by graphs
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 5th 2007, 07:43 AM
  5. help!! Function and Graphs
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 26th 2006, 11:57 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum