Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - Help with a trig question - Solving for variable

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3

    Help with a trig question - Solving for variable


    Hello everyone, just having some trouble with my assignment.

    I had to find the equation for velocity using the equation for vertical displacement so I did. The question asks to find the vertical displacement when the velocity is 0.8 m/s so as you can see I subbed it into the equation above. Problem is, im having trouble solving for 't'.

    Can anyone help?... It would be much appreciated.

    Ill need a lot of help for calculus so I hope I don't bother these forums!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Master Of Puppets
    pickslides's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,236
    Thanks
    28
    0.8= -1.2sin(2t)+0.8cos(t)

    Use double angle formula

     0.8= -1.2sin(t)cos(t)+0.8cos(t)

    Factor out cos(t)

     0.8= cos(t)(0.8-1.2sin(t))

    can you solve it from here?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by pickslides View Post
    0.8= -1.2sin(2t)+0.8cos(t)

    Use double angle formula

     0.8= -1.2{\color{red}(2)}sin(t)cos(t)+0.8cos(t)
     0.8= {\color{red}-2.4}sin(t)cos(t)+0.8cos(t)

    Factor out cos(t)

     0.8= cos(t)(0.8-{\color{red}2.4}sin(t))

    can you solve it from here?
    Quoted with minor corrections.


    01
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheeky View Post

    Hello everyone, just having some trouble with my assignment.

    I had to find the equation for velocity using the equation for vertical displacement so I did. The question asks to find the vertical displacement when the velocity is 0.8 m/s so as you can see I subbed it into the equation above. Problem is, im having trouble solving for 't'.

    Can anyone help?... It would be much appreciated.

    Ill need a lot of help for calculus so I hope I don't bother these forums!
    To what accuracy is your answer required? Are you expected to get an exact answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by pickslides View Post
    0.8= -1.2sin(2t)+0.8cos(t)

    Use double angle formula

     0.8= -1.2sin(t)cos(t)+0.8cos(t)

    Factor out cos(t)

     0.8= cos(t)(0.8-1.2sin(t))

    can you solve it from here?
    I don't see how this (or its corrected incarnation) helps get an exact solution. It's 0.8 on the left hand side, not 0 ....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3
    0.8 = -1.2sin2t + 0.8cost

    1 = -1.5sin2t + cost (Divided everything by 0.8)

    1 = -1.5(2)sintcost + cost (Provided by you guys, correct?)

    1 = -3sintcost + cost

    1 = cost (-3sint + 1) (Factored out cost)

    0 = -3sint + 1 (cos^-1 on the other side)

    -1 = -3sint

    t = sin^-1(-1/-3)

    t = 0.34

    Can anyone see if thats correct?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheeky View Post
    0.8 = -1.2sin2t + 0.8cost

    1 = -1.5sin2t + cost (Divided everything by 0.8)

    1 = -1.5(2)sintcost + cost (Provided by you guys, correct?)

    1 = -3sintcost + cost

    1 = cost (-3sint + 1) (Factored out cost)

    0 = -3sint + 1 (cos^-1 on the other side) No, you cannot do that!

    -1 = -3sint

    t = sin^-1(-1/-3)

    t = 0.34

    Can anyone see if thats correct?
    No, not correct. See the red in the quote.

    \cos^{-1}(\cos t) = t (assuming that we are mindful of the domain and range), but \cos^{-1}[\cos t (-3\sin t + 1)] \neq -3\sin t + 1.


    01
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3
    So what else can I do?

    I'm 100% I got up to this part right so far (finding the derivative of vertical displacement equation and subbing in velocity). Cant find this t value!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheeky View Post
    So what else can I do?

    I'm 100% I got up to this part right so far (finding the derivative of vertical displacement equation and subbing in velocity). Cant find this t value!
    If you answer the question I asked in my first post, some headway might get made.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    527
    DrCheeky, you mentioned finding the derivative of the vertical displacement equation. What is it, out of curiosity?


    01
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    If you answer the question I asked in my first post, some headway might get made.

    Mr. Fantastic asked a question. Answer it PLEASE. I'm dying to see the resolution to this problem.

    I have a question of my own. Is that the displacement function, or the velocity function? Because if you set the displacement function = 0.8, you made a boo boo.

    Find the velocity function by taking the derivative of the displacement function. Set THAT equal to 0.8, solve for t, and then plug that value of t into the displacement funtion. This is what you must do.

    Or if you were given the velocity function, find the displacement funtion by integrating the velocity function. Or were you given both functions?

    Please post the question so as to eliminate any further confusion.
    Last edited by VonNemo19; June 22nd 2009 at 09:15 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Solving for a variable question.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 12th 2011, 03:09 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 3rd 2010, 08:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 25th 2010, 07:37 AM
  4. Solving Trig Question
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 12th 2009, 09:26 PM
  5. Solving 3 Different Trig Equations (find variable)
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 18th 2006, 03:05 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum