Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Asymptope

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    27

    Asymptope

    Have i correctly found an asymptope for this function?

    \frac{x^3-3x^2+1}{x^3}

    As x approaches 0 from left and right i get
    \frac{1}{0} so infinity therefor there is a vertical asymptope at 0.

    When graphing this, would this mean x never = 0?

    Can anything else be determined about the graph of this function from what i have? if what i have is correct

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    461
    Hi.

    Quote Originally Posted by anon_404 View Post
    Have i correctly found an asymptope for this function?

    \frac{x^3-3x^2+1}{x^3}

    As x approaches 0 from left and right i get
    \frac{1}{0} so infinity therefor there is a vertical asymptope at 0.
    Thats right

    Quote Originally Posted by anon_404 View Post
    When graphing this, would this mean x never = 0?

    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by anon_404 View Post
    Can anything else be determined about the graph of this function from what i have?

    No, except: the graph f(x) is not symmetric. f is continious on (-\infty, 0) and (0, \infty)

    Yours, Rapha
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    27
    As x approaches infinity, i have found the limit to be 1, have i calculated the correct limit? if so does this mean there is a horizontal aymptope at y = 1?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,240

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by anon_404 View Post
    As x approaches infinity, i have found the limit to be 1, have i calculated the correct limit? if so does this mean there is a horizontal aymptope at y = 1?
    Yes.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum