Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - domain and range

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    From
    earth
    Posts
    167

    domain and range

    if I am ask to get the domain and range of this y=\frac{2}{\sqrt{x^2+8x+10}} how should I start?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,240

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by princess_21 View Post
    if I am ask to get the domain and range of this y=\frac{2}{\sqrt{x^2+8x+10}} how should I start?
    Use the definition of domain and range to start your work.

    The "domain", being the allowable x-values, will be the values that do not cause division by zero or negatives inside square roots. So you'd set the argument of the radical "greater than or equal to zero", and then solve the quadratic inequality.

    The "range" is all the output values, which is often found from the graph. (You don't show any work or say at what level you're studying, so we don't know what other tools you might be able to use.)

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,417
    Thanks
    1330
    Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    Use the definition of domain and range to start your work.

    The "domain", being the allowable x-values, will be the values that do not cause division by zero or negatives inside square roots. So you'd set the argument of the radical "greater than or equal to zero"
    Not "equal to 0". That would make the denominator equal to zero.

    , and then solve the quadratic inequality.

    The "range" is all the output values, which is often found from the graph. (You don't show any work or say at what level you're studying, so we don't know what other tools you might be able to use.)

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,240

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    Not "equal to 0". That would make the denominator equal to zero.
    Quite.

    The "greater than or equal to" solves the square root part. Then one would need to throw out the "or equal to" to prevent the division by zero.

    Thank you!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Domain and range
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 14th 2010, 02:09 AM
  2. Domain and Range
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 13th 2010, 07:12 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 16th 2009, 06:25 AM
  4. Domain And Range
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 3rd 2008, 09:31 PM
  5. Domain and range?
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 22nd 2008, 04:45 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum