Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Inverse of a Function

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6

    Inverse of a Function

    I'm looking to find the inverse function of f(n)= x^2 - x

    the fact that x is raised to the power is confusing me.

    thanks in advance for some help!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    change all ys to xs and all xs to ys...and re-arrange to get a new function in terms of your new y...

    y= x^2 - 2
    x= y^2 - 2
    x+2 = y^2
    y= sqrt(x+2)

    oh and don't forget +/- cos its sqrt

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dlee426 View Post
    I'm looking to find the inverse function of f(n)= x^2 - x

    the fact that x is raised to the power is confusing me.

    thanks in advance for some help!
    The inverse is given by y = f^{-1}(x) where x = y^2 - y.

    Your job now is to make y the subject. You have several options:

    Option 1: First complete the square.

    Option 2: Solve for y using the quadratic formula.

    Quote Originally Posted by shabz View Post
    change all ys to xs and all xs to ys...and re-arrange to get a new function in terms of your new y...

    y= x^2 - 2
    x= y^2 - 2
    x+2 = y^2
    y= sqrt(x+2)

    oh and don't forget +/- cos its sqrt

    You have misread the equation.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    83
    mr. fantastic, i'm doing the same question, but if you graph y=x^2-x and use the horizontal line test, it doesn't pass and therefore is not one-to-one....so does that mean it doesn't have an inverse?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by algebra2 View Post
    mr. fantastic, i'm doing the same question, but if you graph y=x^2-x and use the horizontal line test, it doesn't pass and therefore is not one-to-one....so does that mean it doesn't have an inverse?
    It means that it doesn't have an inverse function. However, an inverse relation exists.

    If you want an inverse function, then the domain of f needs to be restricted so that f is a 1-to-1 function. The question doesn't say what the domain is ....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. function composition and inverse function
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 10th 2009, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 19th 2009, 02:47 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 22nd 2009, 08:29 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 19th 2008, 08:06 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 17th 2008, 09:45 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum