Results 1 to 3 of 3

Math Help - demand function

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9

    demand function

    I need help starting this, I tried looking at examples but I can't get it...

    The latest demand equation for you gaming website is given by q= -400x + 1200, where q is the number of users who log on per month and x is the log on fee you charge. Your IP provider charges you Site maintenance fee $20 per month and high volume access fee 0.5 per log on. Find the monthly cost as a function of the log on fee x. Find the monthly profit as a function of x. What is the largest possible monthly profit? What is the log on fee to obtain the largest possible profit?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,240

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by jnm07 View Post
    The latest demand equation for you gaming website is given by q= -400x + 1200, where q is the number of users who log on per month and x is the log on fee you charge. Your IP provider charges you Site maintenance fee $20 per month and high volume access fee 0.5 per log on.

    Find the monthly cost as a function of the log on fee x.
    The total cost is the IP's fixed monthly charge, plus the IP's total access fee. The IP's total access fee is the product of the IP's per-logon fee and the number of user logons.

    Quote Originally Posted by jnm07 View Post
    Find the monthly profit as a function of x. What is the largest possible monthly profit?
    The profit is the difference between the income and the outgo. The income is the product of the number of users and the per-user fee that you charge. The total outgo is the cost you figured above.

    Quote Originally Posted by jnm07 View Post
    What is the log on fee to obtain the largest possible profit?
    Take the derivative of your profit function, and find the max point.

    If you get stuck, please reply showing your work and reasoning so far, starting with the algebra for the first two parts.

    Thank you!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9
    the thing that confuses me though is, i looked at an example, but there was no "x", rather R=pq for revenue. should I just change the -400x+1200 to -400p +1200?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Demand function help
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 13th 2010, 05:11 PM
  2. Demand function
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 12th 2010, 10:41 AM
  3. Demand function
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 29th 2009, 03:36 PM
  4. Finding the demand function
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 5th 2009, 02:53 PM
  5. demand function
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 12th 2007, 11:49 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum