- choose an arbitrary point on L1
- calculate the equation of the line perpendicular to L1 and passing through the chosen point
- calculate the coordinates of the point of intersection of the perpendicular line with L2
- calculate the distance between the chosen point and the point of intersection
2. The shortcut:
The equations of both lines are given in normal form. Transform the equations into Hesse normal form by dividing through the length of the normal vector. The difference of the two constants yields the distance between the two parallels.
3. With your question:
4. Therefore the distance is