Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - calling all X hunters. Is x undefined?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    32

    calling all X hunters. Is x undefined?

    solve for x

    (squareroot of 3 - (squareroot of x + 5)) = 2


    **the squaroot of 3 - is also covering the squareroot of x + 5
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    32
    - 4 = answer?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by needhelp75 View Post
    solve for x

    (squareroot of 3 - (squareroot of x + 5)) = 2


    **the squaroot of 3 - is also covering the squareroot of x + 5
    Is the equation \sqrt{3 - \sqrt{x + 5}} = 2 ?

    If so, simple substitution shows that x = -4 is not the answer. In fact, there is no answer if x is a real number.
    Quote Originally Posted by needhelp75 View Post
    - 4 = answer?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    32
    yes that is the correct equation.
    I've tried solving for x and got -4 but when i plug back into equation the numbers dont match.
    Hence, is this equation undefined?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by needhelp75 View Post
    yes that is the correct equation.
    I've tried solving for x and got -4 but when i plug back into equation the numbers dont match.
    Hence, is this equation undefined?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Is the equation \sqrt{3 - \sqrt{x + 5}} = 2

    [snip] there is no answer if x is a real number.
    ..
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. HELP! Calling Calculus Gurus...
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 31st 2008, 05:37 PM
  2. calling an equation..
    Posted in the LaTeX Help Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 4th 2008, 07:51 AM
  3. undefined
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 30th 2008, 05:54 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 21st 2008, 07:14 AM
  5. undefined
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 27th 2007, 03:10 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum