Results 1 to 13 of 13

Math Help - Plotting a graph - Trigonometric Function

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    36

    Plotting a graph - Trigonometric Function

    Hi Again guys,

    I've been told that the following problem can be solved on excel fairly easily... but i'm unsure what i should do with it.

    Could anybody guide me through the solution so i can practice some examples?

    Here is a screenshot of the problem:

    CLICK HERE

    Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    9
    You have,
    4\cos \left( x +\frac{\pi}{4} \right)
    That means, you will draw your regular cosine curve having an amplitute of 4 and the shift it to the left.

    First draw the regular cosine of amplitude of 4. (dotted line)
    Then use it to help you draw the real curve move to the left of \pi/4 (red line).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plotting a graph - Trigonometric Function-picture2.gif  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    36
    Thanks, that looks a little complicated though Perfect Hacker.. the examples we did at college on excel looked a little more simple.

    I briefly remember we had a table of values on the excel spreadsheet, and then we had a graph which looked similar to the answer which was removed from this thread.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor Quick's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    New England
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by c00ky
    Thanks, that looks a little complicated though Perfect Hacker.. the examples we did at college on excel looked a little more simple.

    I briefly remember we had a table of values on the excel spreadsheet, and then we had a graph which looked similar to the answer which was removed from this thread.
    I removed my answer becuase I wasn't certain if my excel is set to radians or degrees.

    I've reposted it below, you can decide.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,063
    Thanks
    370
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick
    I removed my answer becuase I wasn't certain if my excel is set to radians or degrees.

    I've reposted it below, you can decide.
    For the record, all trig functions in Excel assume the argument is in radians. The inverse functions all give answers in terms of radians.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick
    I removed my answer becuase I wasn't certain if my excel is set to radians or degrees.

    I've reposted it below, you can decide.
    I can't read the attachment!

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by c00ky
    Hi Again guys,

    I've been told that the following problem can be solved on excel fairly easily... but i'm unsure what i should do with it.

    Could anybody guide me through the solution so i can practice some examples?

    Here is a screenshot of the problem:

    CLICK HERE

    Thanks
    Something like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plotting a graph - Trigonometric Function-gash.jpg  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    36
    So when V = 2.... x = ????

    If you plot the graph over 360 degrees there are two answers..

    I'm lost!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Member Glaysher's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    From
    Newton-le-Willows
    Posts
    224
    Both answers are correct and if you left the oscillator on you would continue to get two additional answers every 360 degrees

    Oh and for those having trouble with Excel try Autograph, designed by mathematicians for teaching mathematicians. I think its pretty good and at college we're stuck with the older version without 3D graphing Get a 30 day trial from here:

    http://www.autograph-math.com/
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaysher
    Both answers are correct and if you left the oscillator on you would continue to get two additional answers every 360 degrees

    Oh and for those having trouble with Excel try Autograph, designed by mathematicians for teaching mathematicians. I think its pretty good and at college we're stuck with the older version without 3D graphing Get a 30 day trial from here:

    http://www.autograph-math.com/
    The advantage of Excel is that it is a very common piece of software
    and you are likely to meet it on most PCs you encounter. I would normally
    never recommend a piece of commercial software for mathematical work,
    but the solver in Excel is a killer application and I use it all the time.

    (Commercial software is a strange concept, at home I run MS Office 95
    under XP, which I bought a number of years ago for £5 of off e-bay)

    Other than common tools like Office (though even here OpenOffice would
    almost be a viable alternative if it weren’t for the Excel solver) I would never
    recommend commercial software for teaching or research for Maths. The free
    products are good and cheap.


    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Member Glaysher's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    From
    Newton-le-Willows
    Posts
    224
    Fair enough. I don't know many free ones though. The only one I've got is a wonderfully simple program that allows you to create graph paper to stick in other programs such as Word. I don't like Excel for little things really, like not drawing histograms properly.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaysher
    Fair enough. I don't know many free ones though. The only one I've got is a wonderfully simple program that allows you to create graph paper to stick in other programs such as Word. I don't like Excel for little things really, like not drawing histograms properly.
    I've forgotten what its called but look for what ThePerfectHacker uses
    it looks pretty good and is free. There is a link to its web page somewhere
    in his posts (better still just wait till he reads this, I bet he posts the link
    in his reply to this thread).

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,063
    Thanks
    370
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaysher
    Fair enough. I don't know many free ones though. The only one I've got is a wonderfully simple program that allows you to create graph paper to stick in other programs such as Word. I don't like Excel for little things really, like not drawing histograms properly.
    (Sigh) I miss the "Harvard Graphics" program. Not only was it a great graphics program, but it fully integrated with Lotus. Ah, the good ol' days!

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Help Plotting a graph
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 12th 2011, 10:03 PM
  2. Graph for Trigonometric Function
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 18th 2011, 08:49 AM
  3. plotting a graph
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 16th 2010, 02:48 PM
  4. graph plotting
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 17th 2009, 10:11 AM
  5. Urgent, Trigonometric function and graph
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 29th 2008, 05:46 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum