Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Distance Word Problem

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    Distance Word Problem

    A truck traveling at a constant rate of 45 miles per hour leaves Albany. One hour later a car traveling at a constant rate of 60 miles per hour also leaves Albany traveling in the same direction on the same highway. How long will it take for the car to catch up to the
    truck, if both vehicles continue in the same direction on the highway?

    MY ATTEMPT:

    ...........................rate.......time........ ......distance
    truck.....................45.........x + 1.............45(x + 1)
    car........................60...........x......... ........60x

    Is this the right set up to find the answer?

    I then equate the distances because they are traveling in the same direction.

    Is this correct?

    45(x + 1) = 60x
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    A truck traveling at a constant rate of 45 miles per hour leaves Albany. One hour later a car traveling at a constant rate of 60 miles per hour also leaves Albany traveling in the same direction on the same highway. How long will it take for the car to catch up to the
    truck, if both vehicles continue in the same direction on the highway?

    MY ATTEMPT:

    ...........................rate.......time........ ......distance
    truck.....................45.........x + 1.............45(x + 1)
    car........................60...........x......... ........60x

    Is this the right set up to find the answer?

    I then equate the distances because they are traveling in the same direction.

    Is this correct?

    45(x + 1) = 60x
    yup, good job

    now finish up
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    Smile My work...

    Here is my effort:

    45(x + 1) = 60x

    45x + 45 = 60x

    45 = 60x = 45x

    45 = 15x

    45/15 = x

    3 = x

    So, it will take the car 3 hours to catch up to the truck.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    Here is my effort:

    45(x + 1) = 60x

    45x + 45 = 60x

    45 = 60x = 45x

    45 = 15x

    45/15 = x

    3 = x

    So, it will take the car 3 hours to catch up to the truck.
    yup ....(if we start measuring time from when the car leaves. if we are to measure time from when the truck leaves, which i think is what we are supposed to do here, then the answer is 4 hours)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    I see..

    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    yup ....(if we start measuring time from when the car leaves. if we are to measure time from when the truck leaves, which i think is what we are supposed to do here, then the answer is 4 hours)
    It's amazing that I got this question correct but of course this does not mean that I have mastered word problems. I need more and more practice each day.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    It's amazing that I got this question correct but of course this does not mean that I have mastered word problems. I need more and more practice each day.
    that's true. practice is usually required to master any mathematical discipline
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Distance (Word Problem)
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 10th 2011, 06:22 AM
  2. distance word problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 31st 2010, 05:18 PM
  3. Distance word problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 20th 2009, 02:08 PM
  4. Distance Word Problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 14th 2008, 06:58 AM
  5. word problem minimum distance
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 5th 2007, 11:29 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum