1. Find the equation of a parabola with vertex at (1,5) and focus (-5.5).
2. Find the equation of an ellipse with endpoints of the minor axis (10,2) and (10,8) and major axis of length 24.
Hello, Brooke,Originally Posted by Brooke
1. I assume that there is typo and you actually mean that the focus has the coordinates (-5,5).
2. The general equation of a parabola with axis parallel to the coordinate axis is:
where p is the distance between the focus and the directrix. So plug in the values you know and you'll get:
3. The axises of the ellipse are parallel to the coordinate axises. The centre of the ellipse is thus M(10,5). So the endpoints of the major axis are at L(-2,5) and R(22,5)