Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Two Function Problems

  1. #1
    Amy
    Amy is offline
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    59

    Question Two Function Problems

    1. The cost of sending an overnight package from New York to Atlanta is $9.80 for a package weighing up to but not including 1 pound and $2.50 for each additional pound or portion of a pound. Use the greatest integer function to create a model for the cost C of overnight of a package weighing x pounds, where x > 0. Sketch the graph of the function.

    2. Your wage is $8.00 per hour plus $0.75 for each unit produced hour. So, your hourly wage y in terms of the number of units produced x is y = 8 + 0.75x.

    Find the inverse function. What does each variable in the inverse function represents?

    for the first one, is it
    C= 9,whenx<1
    =9+[2.5x],whenx>or=1

    Second one,
    x=(y-8)/.75
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    GAMMA Mathematics
    colby2152's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    From
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,172
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    1. The cost of sending an overnight package from New York to Atlanta is $9.80 for a package weighing up to but not including 1 pound and $2.50 for each additional pound or portion of a pound. Use the greatest integer function to create a model for the cost C of overnight of a package weighing x pounds, where x > 0. Sketch the graph of the function.

    2. Your wage is $8.00 per hour plus $0.75 for each unit produced hour. So, your hourly wage y in terms of the number of units produced x is y = 8 + 0.75x.

    Find the inverse function. What does each variable in the inverse function represents?

    for the first one, is it
    C= 9,whenx<1
    =9+[2.5x],whenx>or=1

    Second one,
    x=(y-8)/.75
    Your second inverse function is correct, but the first function should look like this:

    C = 9.8, x < 1
    C= 9.8+2.5(x-1), x \ge 1
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Amy
    Amy is offline
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by colby2152 View Post
    Your second inverse function is correct, but the first function should look like this:

    C = 9.8, x < 1
    C= 9.8+2.5(x-1), x \ge 1
    I didn't get the second one yet.
    I understood the x-1 part.
    If it is C = 9.8, x < 1
    C= 9.8+2.5(x-1), x \ge 1, then what is the difference between the normal function and the greatest integer function.

    Note: by normal function I meant the actual values given
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Amy
    Amy is offline
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    59
    And what about the graph?

    Is it a straight line parallel to x axis IN THE INTERVAL (0,1) along the x axis and from x=1 onwards straight line corresponding to y= 9.8+(x-1)2.5?
    Am I right?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    GAMMA Mathematics
    colby2152's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    From
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,172
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    And what about the graph?

    Is it a straight line parallel to x axis IN THE INTERVAL (0,1) along the x axis and from x=1 onwards straight line corresponding to y= 9.8+(x-1)2.5?
    Am I right?
    Your intuition is correct. It is a straight flat line (slope of zero) from zero to one. From one onwards, the line "ramps" up at an angle (slope of 2.5).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. (More) Function Problems
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 9th 2010, 11:36 AM
  2. More function problems...
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 10th 2010, 05:33 AM
  3. Onto Function Problems
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 30th 2009, 09:03 AM
  4. Function problems
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 10th 2007, 02:15 AM
  5. Please help with these function problems!
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 8th 2006, 08:26 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum