Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Solving Exponential Equations

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    232

    Solving Exponential Equations

    Solve:
     \frac {3}{2}^\frac {m}{2} = \frac {4}{9}

    How do you cross multiply with this equation?

    ------

    Solve:
    \frac {27^x}{9^{2x-1}} = 3^{x+4}

    What do you do here? The first thing I did is putting everything to a common base and distributing the exponents then what?

    Textbook Answer: -1

    -----

    Solve:
    10^{z+4} = 10^{z+3} = 11

    Do you move 10^{z+3} to the right and solve? I did this and I get a different answer from my textbook.

    My answer: 10^z = \frac {1}{9900}

    Textbook answer: -3

    -------------------------------

    Solve:
     27(3^{3x+1}) = 3

    My Work:
    3^{3x+1} = \frac {1}{9}

    3^{3x+1} = 3^{-2}

    x + 1 = -2

    x = -3

    Textbook Answer: -1

    -------------------------------------------

    Solve:
    2^{a+5} + 2^a = 1056

    My Work:
    2^a (2^5 + 2^0) = 1056

    2^a(33) = 1056

    2^a = 2^5

    a = 5

    Textbook Answer: -1

    ----------------------------------------

    Solve:
     3^{m+1} + 3^{m+2} - 972 = 0

    My work:
    3^{m+1} (3^0 + 3^{-1}) = 972

    3^{m+1} = 3^6

    m = 5

    Textbook answer: -2

    ----------------------------------------------

    Solve:
    5^{n+2} - 5^{n+3} = -2500

    My Work:
    5^n (5^5 - 5^3) = -12500

    5^n = 5^5

    n = 2

    Textbook Answer: 4
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,903
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macleef View Post
    Solve:
     \frac {3}{2}^\frac {m}{2} = \frac {4}{9}

    How do you cross multiply with this equation?

    ------
    Is this possibly supposed to be
    \left ( \frac{3}{2} \right )^{m/2} = \frac{4}{9}

    Then note that
    \frac{4}{9} = \left ( \frac{2}{3} \right )^2 = \left ( \frac{3}{2} \right )^{-2}

    So
    \left ( \frac{3}{2} \right )^{m/2} = \left ( \frac{3}{2} \right )^{-2}

    Thus
    \frac{m}{2} = -2

    m = -4

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,903
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macleef View Post
    Solve:
    \frac {27^x}{9^{2x-1}} = 3^{x+4}

    What do you do here? The first thing I did is putting everything to a common base and distributing the exponents then what?

    Textbook Answer: -1

    -----
    You have the right strategy:
    \frac {27^x}{9^{2x-1}} = 3^{x+4}

    \frac {(3^3)^x}{(3^2)^{2x-1}} = 3^{x+4}

    \frac {3^{3x}}{3^{2(2x-1)}} = 3^{x+4}

    \frac {3^{3x}}{3^{4x-2}} = 3^{x+4}

    3^{3x - (4x - 2)} = 3^{x+4}

    3^{-x + 2} = 3^{x+4}

    You take it from here.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,903
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macleef View Post
    Solve:
    10^{z+4} = 10^{z+3} = 11

    Do you move 10^{z+3} to the right and solve? I did this and I get a different answer from my textbook.

    My answer: 10^z = \frac {1}{9900}

    Textbook answer: -3
    There's a baaaad typo in here somewhere.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,903
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macleef View Post
    Solve:
     27(3^{3x+1}) = 3

    My Work:
    3^{3x+1} = \frac {1}{9}

    3^{3x+1} = 3^{-2}

    x + 1 = -2

    x = -3

    Textbook Answer: -1
    There's a typo in the third line of your solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Macleef View Post
    Solve:
    2^{a+5} + 2^a = 1056

    My Work:
    2^a (2^5 + 2^0) = 1056

    2^a(33) = 1056

    2^a = 2^5

    a = 5

    Textbook Answer: -1
    I agree with your answer.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,903
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macleef View Post
    Solve:
     3^{m+1} + 3^{m+2} - 972 = 0

    My work:
    3^{m+1} (3^0 + 3^{-1}) = 972

    3^{m+1} = 3^6

    m = 5

    Textbook answer: -2
    I agree with neither answer.
     3^{m+1} + 3^{m+2} - 972 = 0

     3^{m+1} + 3^{m+2} = 972

    3^{m + 1} ( 1 + 3^1 ) = 972 <-- See this line

    3^{m + 1}(4) = 972

    3^{m + 1} = 243 = 3^5

    etc.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,903
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macleef View Post

    Solve
    :

    5^{n+2} - 5^{n+3} = -2500

    My Work:
    5^n (5^5 - 5^3) = -12500

    5^n = 5^5

    n = 2

    Textbook Answer: 4
    Again, I'm not agreeing with the textbook.

    A couple of problems here:
    5^{n+2} - 5^{n+3} = -2500

    5^{n+2}(1 - 5^1 ) = -2500

    5^{n + 2}(-4) = -2500

    5^{n + 2} = 625 = 5^4

    etc.

    I agree with your answer but you had
    5^n (5^5 - 5^3) = -12500
    It's fine to merely pull the 5^n out, but you should have
    5^n(5^2 - 5^3) = -2500

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Solving Exponential Equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 25th 2013, 10:42 AM
  2. Solving Exponential Equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 21st 2010, 02:19 PM
  3. Solving Exponential Equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 6th 2009, 07:10 PM
  4. Solving Exponential Equations
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 23rd 2009, 01:33 AM
  5. need help on solving exponential equations!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 12th 2007, 07:33 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum