Results 1 to 15 of 15

Math Help - Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    What is the lim as x--->2 of g(f(x)) with reference to this diagram:
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

    My reasoning thus far is that there is no limit because as x approaches 2 in the first graph, f(x) approaches 0. But in the second graph, of g(x), the function is not continuous at x = 0.

    Is it DNE?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,607
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by lm1988 View Post
    What is the lim as x--->2 of g(f(x)) with reference to this diagram:
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

    My reasoning thus far is that there is no limit because as x approaches 2 in the first graph, f(x) approaches 0. But in the second graph, of g(x), the function is not continuous at x = 0.
    Is it DNE?
    does not exist. DNE?
    Last edited by Plato; October 4th 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    DNE = does not exist
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    why does it not exist?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,607
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by lm1988 View Post
    why does it not exist?
    It may exist.
    What is \lim _{x \to 0^ +  } g(x)~?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    That is 1, from the diagram I provided, but the limit does not exist because as x approaches 0 from the left, the limit of g(x) is 3. Is this correct?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,607
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by lm1988 View Post
    That is 1, from the diagram I provided, but the limit does not exist because as x approaches 0 from the left, the limit of g(x) is 3. Is this correct?
    But the problem is \lim _{x \to 2} g\left( {f(x)} \right).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    But the problem is \lim _{x \to 2} g\left( {f(x)} \right).
    Right, the problem does not specify whether x is approaching 2 from the left or the right side. On the graph of f(x) it approaches 0 from both sides, but if we approach zero on the graph of g(x), g(x) is different depending on whether we approach from the left or right side.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,607
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by lm1988 View Post
    On the graph of f(x) it approaches 0 from both sides, but if we approach zero on the graph of g(x), g(x) is different depending on whether we approach from the left or right side.
    Is that true? Look again.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Is that true? Look again.
    Sorry, I meant to say that on the graph of f(x) as x approaches 2 from both sides, f(x) approaches zero. However, on the graph of g(x) you cannot approach 0 from both sides with the limit being the same. Is the correct way of interpreting the question to check the value that f(x) approaches as x approaches 2 on the graph of f(x) and then take that value in order to examine what value(s) g(x) assumes?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,607
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by lm1988 View Post
    Is the correct way of interpreting the question to check the value that f(x) approaches as x approaches 2 on the graph of f(x) and then take that value in order to examine what value(s) g(x) assumes?
    That is exactly the point.
    Here is a bit of notation. x\approx a means that x is very very close to a BUT x\ne a. That is the concept of limit.
    If this case x\approx 2 gives f(x)\approx 0 but moreover f(x)>0 so what is true of g(f(x))~?
    Last edited by Plato; October 4th 2011 at 12:37 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    That is exactly the point.
    Here is a bit of notation. x\approx a means that x is very very close to a BUT x\ne a. That is the concept of limit.
    If this case x\approx 2 gives f(x)\approx 0 but moreover f(x)>0 so what is true of g(f(x))~?
    Thanks a lot! I got the answer. I never looked at it from that perspective, but since f(x) > 0 in from both the left and right side, we must approach the value g(x) thinking that the x-axis is actually the f(x) axis, meaning that we approaching f(x) = 0 from its positive side.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,607
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Quote Originally Posted by lm1988 View Post
    Thanks a lot! I got the answer. I never looked at it from that perspective, but since f(x) > 0 in from both the left and right side, we must approach the value g(x) thinking that the x-axis is actually the f(x) axis, meaning that we approaching f(x) = 0 from its positive side.
    Exactly
    \lim _{x \to 2} f(x) = 0\;\& \,\lim _{x \to 0} f(x) = 0

    BUT \lim _{x \to 2} g(f(x)) = 1\;\& \,\lim _{x \to 0} g(f(x))\text{ DNE.}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    Hey all,

    This question is free game for anyone. In regards to the diagram referenced in the first post, to which I posted a link, is the value of c that makes \lim_{x\to1}[f(x) + c g(x)] exist equal to the same value of c that makes f(x) + c g(x) continuous at x = 1.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    2

    Re: Question about finding the limit of a piecewise function of a piecewise function?

    I approached the problem this way:

    For \lim_{x\to1}[f(x) + c g(x)] to exist, both the left and right limits must exist.

    \lim_{x\to1^-}[f(x)+cg(x)]=4+c(-1)

    \lim_{x\to1^+}[f(x)+cg(x)]=?

    (The question mark is there not because this limit is unknown, but I leave it to you to figure it out.) Also, the left and right limits must be equal to each other. After finding the second limit, set the two of them equal to each other, and solve for c.

    Now refer to the definition of continuity to complete the question, and proceed in a manner similar to above.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Finding range of piecewise function
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 7th 2011, 04:11 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 5th 2011, 10:54 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 31st 2010, 09:19 PM
  4. piecewise limit function
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 15th 2010, 01:18 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 12th 2009, 06:16 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum