Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Roots-in-tables Problem

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21

    Roots-in-tables Problem

    Okay, I'm in Precal at the moment. Senior year of High School. Kinda pointless for me to take Precal at this point in HS, but anyways... I'm on Even and Odd Functions at the moment. Here's the problem...

    I don't know what to do if the problem is this:

    Complete the tables to determine if f (x) is even or odd or neither.

    2) f (x) = Square Root of X

    X side of the table being...

    -3
    -2
    -1
    0
    1
    2
    3

    And I have to figure out the Y side of the table. Help is much appreciated...

    Seeing that I have to turn this assignment in tomorrow. lol
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkiwrench View Post
    Okay, I'm in Precal at the moment. Senior year of High School. Kinda pointless for me to take Precal at this point in HS, but anyways... I'm on Even and Odd Functions at the moment. Here's the problem...

    I don't know what to do if the problem is this:

    Complete the tables to determine if f (x) is even or odd or neither.

    2) f (x) = Square Root of X

    X side of the table being...

    -3
    -2
    -1
    0
    1
    2
    3

    And I have to figure out the Y side of the table. Help is much appreciated...

    Seeing that I have to turn this assignment in tomorrow. lol
    just replace the x in the formula with whatever number you're considering to find the corresponding y-value.

    recall that, y = f(x)

    example: for x = -3, we have:

    y = f(-3) = \sqrt {-3} which "does not exists," or you can write "no solution." that is, there is no real solution, we cannot have a negative number under a square root and so an imaginary number would result here
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21
    Alright, good good. So I now know that it's an imaginary number I have to deal with. So lets say I have to put an i down to actually fill in the table versus putting down "N/A" or "No Solution". What would I have to do next? Would it be Square Root of 3 i ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkiwrench View Post
    Alright, good good. So I now know that it's an imaginary number I have to deal with. So lets say I have to put an i down to actually fill in the table versus putting down "N/A" or "No Solution". What would I have to do next? Would it be Square Root of 3 i ?
    yes, you would write \sqrt {3}~i

    recall that i = \sqrt {-1}

    so, \sqrt {-3} = \sqrt {3(-1)} = \sqrt {3} \sqrt {-1} = \sqrt {3}~i
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21
    But if I did put \sqrt{3}i in the table, that would automatically rule it out of being possibly even (because I'm working on the is-it-even? table)?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkiwrench View Post
    But if I did put \sqrt{3}i in the table, that would automatically rule it out of being possibly even (because I'm working on the is-it-even? table)?
    yes, the fact that the graph does not exist on one side of the y-axis means it is neither odd nor even
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Roots and Zeroes Problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 12th 2011, 08:51 AM
  2. Roots Problem!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 13th 2011, 03:26 AM
  3. Tables word problem - finding matrices
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 3rd 2010, 06:26 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 13th 2008, 05:14 PM
  5. A problem with roots
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 12th 2007, 10:23 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum