Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - SAT question i cant understand at all ( sorry if it is in the wrong category )

  1. #1
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1

    SAT question i cant understand at all ( sorry if it is in the wrong category )

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,959
    Thanks
    1781
    Awards
    1
    SAT question i cant understand at all ( sorry if it is in the wrong category )-untitled.gifDid you show the complete question?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.GIF 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	20275Did you show the complete question?
    Nope i can't understand a thing about it
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Does it tell you how many marks is the question worth?

    It looks like no working is required so you could draw the line y=0.2 on the same axis and count the number of intersections with f(x) which is what Plato did
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by e^(i*pi) View Post
    Does it tell you how many marks is the question worth?

    It looks like no working is required so you could draw the line y=0.2 on the same axis and count the number of intersections with f(x) which is what Plato did
    I really don't understand anything i give up on this question Thanks for the help guys
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    I really don't understand anything i give up on this question Thanks for the help guys
    The solutions to an equation like f(x) = 0.2 are the x-coordinates of the intersection points of y = f(x) and y = 0.2. I strongly suggest you go back and review this idea.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,400
    Thanks
    1849
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    I really don't understand anything i give up on this question Thanks for the help guys
    Is the difficulty that you do not know what "f(x)" means?

    The reason Plato asked "Did you show the entire question" is that NONE of the choices given, 0, 1, 2, or 3, is correct.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    451
    Thanks
    2
    All SAT multiple choice questions have 5 answer choices, and are usually listed in increasing or decreasing order. So choice (E) is of course the right answer.

    This would be considered a "hard" question on the SAT which means that it would most likely appear towards the end of a multiple choice section. If your current SAT Math score is below a 550, then this is a question that you would most likely omit. I would in fact strongly recommend omitting this level of question if you walked into the SAT and have never seen anything like it.

    That said, this question is very simple once you understand what they are asking.

    The notation f(x) is just a more confusing way to say y. So the question is asking "on this graph, when is the y-coordinate equal to 0.2?"
    You can easily answer this by looking for y=0.2 on the y-axis, and then drawing a horizontal line cutting all the way through the graph (as Plato did above), and counting how many times this line hits the graph.

    To summarize, all you need to remember is the following:

    In an SAT problem with a graph, and an expression "f(x)=c" in the question where c is some number, just draw a horizontal line through that number on the y-axis, and count how many times it hits the graph.
    You will almost certainly get the question correct.
    Last edited by DrSteve; December 29th 2010 at 05:36 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
    All SAT multiple choice questions have 5 answer choices, and are usually listed in increasing or decreasing order. So choice (E) is of course the right answer.

    This would be considered a "hard" question on the SAT which means that it would most likely appear towards the end of a multiple choice section. If your current SAT Math score is below a 550, then this is a question that you would most likely omit. I would in fact strongly recommend omitting this level of question if you walked into the SAT and have never seen anything like it.

    That said, this question is very simple once you understand what they are asking.

    The notation f(x) is just a more confusing way to say y. So the question is asking "on this graph, when is the y-coordinate equal to 0.2?"
    You can easily answer this by looking for y=0.2 on the y-axis, and then drawing a horizontal line cutting all the way through the graph (as Plato did above), and counting how many times this line hits the graph.

    To summarize, all you need to remember is the following:

    In an SAT problem with a graph, and an expression "f(x)=c" in the question where c is some number, just draw a horizontal line through that number on the y-axis, and count how many times it hits the graph.
    You will almost certainly get the question correct.
    Thanks for the tip, I need to practice graphs
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Question on Category Theory
    Posted in the Advanced Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 20th 2010, 03:10 PM
  2. cant understand the question..
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 2nd 2010, 11:31 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 27th 2010, 12:57 PM
  4. Sequence Question (sorry not sure if this is right category)
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 14th 2009, 08:06 AM
  5. Don't Understand the Question
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 3rd 2009, 01:48 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum