Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Quadratic problem

  1. #1
    bat
    bat is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6

    Quadratic problem

    Hey guys I need a little help with this problem.

    A rocket is fired from the ground into the air. After 10 seconds, the rocket is 150 feet in the air. After 50 seconds, the rocket is back down to 90 feet, and after 112 seconds, 30 feet.

    1. Write the equation in standard form. This one I put it into a matrix and got: y = .005x^2-1.813x+167.609

    2. how many seconds will the rocket be back to the ground?
    No idea how to solve this.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,129
    Thanks
    1010
    Quote Originally Posted by bat View Post
    Hey guys I need a little help with this problem.

    A rocket is fired from the ground into the air. After 10 seconds, the rocket is 150 feet in the air. After 50 seconds, the rocket is back down to 90 feet, and after 112 seconds, 30 feet.

    1. Write the equation in standard form. This one I put it into a matrix and got: y = .005x^2-1.813x+167.609

    2. how many seconds will the rocket be back to the ground?
    No idea how to solve this.
    where did this problem come from?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    bat
    bat is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    where did this problem come from?
    From my exam review. Is this a problem?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,129
    Thanks
    1010
    Quote Originally Posted by bat View Post
    From my exam review. Is this a problem?
    never had a rocket problem where the trajectory is an open-upwards parabola ...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    bat
    bat is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    never had a rocket problem where the trajectory is an open-upwards parabola ...
    You're right... Neither have I, am I doing something wrong?
    I keep on getting an upwards parabola.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,129
    Thanks
    1010
    you're not doing anything wrong ... as far as the math goes, your calculated quadratic fits all three given points.

    set y = 0 and use your calculator to find the time for the zero height.

    ask about it when you go over it in class ... bogus problem imho.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    From
    Melbourne
    Posts
    274
    Thanks
    4
    mmm.. sorry for going off topic but how come this is in the precalculus forum?

    Isn't quadratics algebra?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,129
    Thanks
    1010
    Quote Originally Posted by jgv115 View Post
    mmm.. sorry for going off topic but how come this is in the precalculus forum?

    Isn't quadratics algebra?
    because it's fitting a curve to a set of points.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] quadratic equation, A.P. and G.P. related problem problem
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 20th 2011, 09:43 AM
  2. Quadratic Problem Help
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 28th 2009, 01:41 PM
  3. Quadratic Problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 9th 2009, 01:41 PM
  4. quadratic problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 26th 2008, 06:19 PM
  5. quadratic problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 23rd 2007, 04:39 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum