Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Radical Equation to standard form trinomial (with math code)

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11

    Radical Equation to standard form trinomial (with math code)

     \sqrt{2} x^2 + 5x + \sqrt{2} = 0

    Do I square it so that it becomes the following?

     2x^4 + 25x^2 + 2 = 0

    Thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrie View Post
     \sqrt{2} x^2 + 5x + \sqrt{2} = 0

    Do I square it so that it becomes the following?

     2x^4 + 25x^2 + 2 = 0

    Thanks.
    The first thing you need to understand is that (A + B + C)^2 \neq A^2 + B^2 + C^2 so even if the correct approach was to square both sides of the given equation, the result you got is very wrong.

     \sqrt{2} x^2 + 5x + \sqrt{2} = 0 can be solved using the usual quadratic formula in the usual way. If you need more help, please show your work and say where you get stuck.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    The first thing you need to understand is that (A + B + C)^2 \neq A^2 + B^2 + C^2 so even if the correct approach was to square both sides of the given equation, the result you got is very wrong.

     \sqrt{2} x^2 + 5x + \sqrt{2} = 0 can be solved using the usual quadratic formula in the usual way. If you need more help, please show your work and say where you get stuck.
    Thank you for the reply. I guess the radicals scared me. :P

    I get stuck when I rationalize the denominator.

    Step 1 = Use Quadratic formula
     \frac {-5\sqrt{25-4(\sqrt{2})(\sqrt{2})}}{2 (\sqrt{2})}

    Step 2 = Evaluate

     \frac {-5\sqrt{17}}{2 (\sqrt{2})}

    Step 3 = Rationalize denominator

     \frac {-5\sqrt{2}\sqrt{34}}{2}

    But the answer says the denominator should be 4. What am I doing wrong?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor harish21's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    From
    Dirty South
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrie View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I guess the radicals scared me. :P

    I get stuck when I rationalize the denominator.

    Step 1 = Use Quadratic formula
     \frac {-5\sqrt{25-4(\sqrt{2})(\sqrt{2})}}{2 (\sqrt{2})}

    Step 2 = Evaluate

     \frac {-5\sqrt{17}}{2 (\sqrt{2})}

    Step 3 = Rationalize denominator multiply the numerator and denominator by sqrt(2)

     \frac {-5\sqrt{2}\sqrt{34}}{2}

    But the answer says the denominator should be 4. What am I doing wrong?

    you forgot to multiply the denominator by \sqrt{2} while rationalizing..

     2\sqrt{2} \times \sqrt{2} = 2 \times 2 = 4
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by harish21 View Post
    you forgot to multiply the denominator by \sqrt{2} while rationalizing..

     2\sqrt{2} \times \sqrt{2} = 2 \times 2 = 4
    Ah, thank you, you're right. For some reason I was thinking that the square root just got turned into smoke when I multiplied it in the denominator.

    The answer, then, is:

     \frac {-5\sqrt{2}\sqrt{34}}{4}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 16th 2010, 08:21 AM
  2. Equation of cirlcle in standard form.
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 6th 2008, 08:41 PM
  3. Standard Form of an Equation
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 17th 2008, 04:00 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 12th 2008, 12:17 AM
  5. math/check+ help! conic in standard form
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 5th 2006, 01:44 PM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum