Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Math Help - [SOLVED] Complex numbers

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5

    [SOLVED] Complex numbers

    If z=e^{x}, then 1+z+z^2+z^3+5z^4+4z^5+4z^6+4z^7+4z^8+5z^9=

    x=\frac{2\pi\mathbf{i}}{5}

    I am thinking this might be able to be represented in a series but the coefficients are making that an issue. Maybe there is another way to tackle this?

    I put this in this form because it wasn't necessarily to calculus based but it isn't exactly pre-calculus.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    If z=e^{x}, then 1+z+z^2+z^3+5z^4+4z^5+4z^6+4z^7+4z^8+5z^9=

    x=\frac{2\pi\mathbf{i}}{5}

    I am thinking this might be able to be represented in a series but the coefficients are making that an issue. Maybe there is another way to tackle this?

    I put this in this form because it wasn't necessarily to calculus based but it isn't exactly pre-calculus.

    1+z+z^2+z^3+5z^4+4z^5+4z^6+4z^7+4z^8+5z^9= \sum^9_{n=0}z^n+z^4\left(4+3z+3z^2+3z^3+3z^4+4z^5\  right) =3z^4\sum^5_{n=0}z^n+z^4+z^5=

    =3z^4\,\frac{z^6-1}{z-1}+z^4+z^5= 3e^{-2\pi i/5}\,\frac{e^{2\pi i/5}-1}{e^{2\pi i/5-1}}+e^{-2\pi i/5}+1 =e^{-2\pi i/5}+1

    Things to take into account: \sum^k_{n=0}a^k=\frac{a^{k+1}-1}{a-1}\,,\,\,e^{k\pi i}=\left\{\begin{array}{ll}1&,\,\,if\,\,k\in\mathb  b{Z}\,\,is\,\,even\\\!\!\!\!-1&,\,\,if\,\,k\in\mathbb{Z}\,\,is\,\,odd\end{array  }\right.

    Check carefully the above, some mistakes may have snuck in.

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    1+z+z^2+z^3+5z^4+4z^5+4z^6+4z^7+4z^8+5z^9= \sum^9_{n=0}z^n+z^4\left(4+3z+3z^2+3z^3+3z^4+4z^5\  right) =3z^4\sum^5_{n=0}z^n+z^4+z^5=

    =3z^4\,\frac{z^6-1}{z-1}+z^4+z^5= 3e^{-2\pi i/5}\,\frac{e^{2\pi i/5}-1}{e^{2\pi i/5-1}}+e^{-2\pi i/5}+1 =e^{-2\pi i/5}+1

    Things to take into account: \sum^k_{n=0}a^k=\frac{a^{k+1}-1}{a-1}\,,\,\,e^{k\pi i}=\left\{\begin{array}{ll}1&,\,\,if\,\,k\in\mathb  b{Z}\,\,is\,\,even\\\!\!\!\!-1&,\,\,if\,\,k\in\mathbb{Z}\,\,is\,\,odd\end{array  }\right.

    Check carefully the above, some mistakes may have snuck in.

    Tonio
    I don't understand how you came up with that sum but I am pretty sure it is incorrect since your answer differs from the actual answer, -5e^{\frac{3\pi\mathbf{i}}{5}}.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,365
    Thanks
    1311
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    If z=e^{x}, then 1+z+z^2+z^3+5z^4+4z^5+4z^6+4z^7+4z^8+5z^9=

    x=\frac{2\pi\mathbf{i}}{5}

    I am thinking this might be able to be represented in a series but the coefficients are making that an issue. Maybe there is another way to tackle this?

    I put this in this form because it wasn't necessarily to calculus based but it isn't exactly pre-calculus.
    z^5= e^{2\pi i}= 1 so this is

    1+ z+ z^2+z^3+ 5z^4+ 4+ 4z+ 4z^2+ 4z^3+ 5z^4= 5+ 5z^2+ 5z^3+ 5z^4= 5(1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4).

    And, since z^5= 1, z^5- 1= (z- 1)(z^4+ z^3+ z^2+ z+ 1)= 0 and since z- 1\ne 0 for z= e^{i\pi/5}.....

    No, the answer is NOT <br />
-5e^{\frac{3\pi\mathbf{i}}{5}}<br />
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    z^5= e^{2\pi i}= 1 so this is

    1+ z+ z^2+z^3+ 5z^4+ 4+ 4z+ 4z^2+ 4z^3+ 5z^4= 5+ 5z^2+ 5z^3+ 5z^4= 5(1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4).

    And, since z^5= 1, z^5- 1= (z- 1)(z^4+ z^3+ z^2+ z+ 1)= 0 and since z- 1\ne 0 for z= e^{i\pi/5}.....

    No, the answer is NOT <br />
-5e^{\frac{3\pi\mathbf{i}}{5}}<br />
    Here is where the problem comes from: GRE Subject Tests: Mathematics

    Number 43 of Math practice test.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,365
    Thanks
    1311
    Yes, and the correct answer is given there. But it isn't "E"!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    Yes, and the correct answer is given there. But it isn't "E"!
    However, if you go to the answer key, it is E. Also, this was a test a question from 2005-2007 so if it isn't E, then the numerous amount of students who took the test then would have gotten 43 wrong if the answer is what you say. Due to the consequences of the test, I would think they would be extremely careful with developing the answer key so as not to hurt someones chances at getting accepted to a certain school by careless errors.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,605
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    However, if you go to the answer key, it is E.
    The answer is indeed E. The test booklet is correct.
    1+ z+ z^2+z^3+ 5z^4+ 4z^5+ 4z^6+ 4z^7+4z^8+ 5z^9=  5(1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4)+5z^4.
    The key is in seeing it is to notice that  1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4 =0
    because 0=1-z^5=(1-z)( 1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4) and z\not=1
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    The answer is indeed E. The test booklet is correct.
    1+ z+ z^2+z^3+ 5z^4+ 4z^5+ 4z^6+ 4z^7+4z^8+ 5z^9=  5(1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4)+5z^4.
    The key is in seeing it is to notice that  1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4 =0
    because 0=1-z^5=(1-z)( 1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4) and z\not=1
    Why are tonio and HallsofIvy, who both do quality work in mathematics, so adamant it isn't?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,605
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    Why are tonio and HallsofIvy, who both do quality work in mathematics, so adamant it isn't?
    I consider this to be a very tricky problem.
    I also think 'copy & paste' has its own problems.
    Look at
    1+ z+ z^2+z^3+ {\color{red}5z^4}+ 4+ 4z+ 4z^2+ 4z^3+ 5z^4= 5+ 5z^2+ 5z^3+ 5z^4+{\color{red}5z^4}= 5(1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4)+{\color{red}5z^4}.
    I think a term was dropped.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    1+ z+ z^2+z^3+ 5z^4+ 4z^5+ 4z^6+ 4z^7+4z^8+ 5z^9=  5(1+ z+ z^2+ z^3+ z^4)+5z^4.
    How were you able to do this factorization?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,605
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    How were you able to do this factorization?
    That was done by HallsofIvy. He just dropped one term.

    I might as well say this.
    Once I saw that this was an official GRE publication, I knew the given answer had to be correct.
    Nevertheless, I consider this to be a very poor question.
    For one the given answer  - 5\exp \left( {\frac{{3\pi i}}{5}} \right) not in expected form.
    I first thought this it was the obvious distracter because it is not usual to the minus there.
    Only 26% got the question correct.

    If a=\exp \left( {\frac{{2\pi i}}{5}} \right) then a^6=a,~a^7=a^2,~a^8=a^3,~\&~a^9=a^4
    I hope this helps.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    That was done by HallsofIvy. He just dropped one term.

    I might as well say this.
    Once I saw that this was an official GRE publication, I knew the given answer had to be correct.
    Nevertheless, I consider this to be a very poor question.
    For one the given answer  - 5\exp \left( {\frac{{3\pi i}}{5}} \right) not in expected form.
    I first thought this it was the obvious distracter because it is not usual to the minus there.
    Only 26% got the question correct.

    If a=\exp \left( {\frac{{2\pi i}}{5}} \right) then a^6=a,~a^7=a^2,~a^8=a^3,~\&~a^9=a^4
    I hope this helps.
    How are we transforming the constant of 1 to 5 WLOG and what happened to the 4z^5?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,605
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    How are we transforming the constant of 1 to 5 WLOG and what happened to the 4z^5?
    Because z^5=1 we get 4z^5=4.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #15
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    Why are tonio and HallsofIvy, who both do quality work in mathematics, so adamant it isn't?

    I am not adamant at nothing: I just liked the trick Hallsofivy introduced in his response [taking into account that z^5=1 . Just as I didn't check thorughly my work I didn't check his either, and after Plato intervened I did check it. There was only one 5z^4 lacking in Halls' work , and the way they put the answers in the GRE was very tricky ( I would even call it dirty ), no wonder Halls got confused:

    5z^4=5e^{8\pi i/4}=5e^{\pi i}e^{3\pi i/4}=-5e^{3\pi i/4}

    This is pretty easy, but when you have 170 minutes to solve 66 questions this can be way misleading...so misleading as to be considered unfair, perhaps.

    I still have to be explained, and convinced, what good is to have this kind of exams with those times....what do they REALLY check and evaluate.

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] Complex Numbers
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 7th 2009, 09:18 AM
  2. [SOLVED] Complex numbers?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 3rd 2009, 06:15 PM
  3. [SOLVED] Complex Numbers
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 22nd 2009, 12:59 PM
  4. [SOLVED] Complex Numbers- cos ( pi/5)
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 12th 2009, 04:44 AM
  5. [SOLVED] [SOLVED] Complex Numbers
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 31st 2008, 07:05 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum