Results 1 to 3 of 3

Math Help - advanced functions questions

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8

    advanced functions questions

    please indicate which question you are answering, and thanks for your help

    1. Solve the following equation:

    (x+1)^2 - 3(x+1) = 0

    2. What is the maximum possible number of turning points for each of the following functions?

    a) linear function
    b) quadratic function
    c) cubic function
    d) quartic function

    3. For the function f(x) = (x-4)(x+1)(x-1)
    a) find the domain and range
    b) find the real zeros, to the nearest tenth necessary
    c) the y-intercepts
    d) the end behaviour (what is this?)
    e) any symmetry
    f) the number of turning points
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by juiicycouture View Post
    ...
    1. Solve the following equation:

    (x+1)^2 - 3(x+1) = 0
    Factor the term:
    (x+1)^2 - 3(x+1) = (x+1)((x+1) - 3) = (x+1)(x-2) = 0

    Therefore the solutions are: x = -1 or x = 2

    Quote Originally Posted by juiicycouture View Post
    .
    2. What is the maximum possible number of turning points for each of the following functions?

    a) linear function
    b) quadratic function
    c) cubic function
    d) quartic function
    If n is the degree (or do you say grade?) of the function then the maximum number of turning points is n-1:
    Code:
    prob   degree   max. number of turning points
    -------------------------------------------
    a)         1                        0
    b)         2                        1 (= vertex)
    c)         3                        2
    d)         4                        3
    Quote Originally Posted by juiicycouture View Post
    3. For the function f(x) = (x-4)(x+1)(x-1)
    a) find the domain and range
    b) find the real zeros, to the nearest tenth necessary
    c) the y-intercepts
    d) the end behaviour (what is this?)
    e) any symmetry
    f) the number of turning points
    a) There aren't any restrictions for x thus d = IR (the set of real numbers).
    Because f has the degree 3 and the coefficient of x is 1 the values of the function reach from -∞ to +∞

    b) f(x) = 0 if one of the factors is zero. Therefore the zeros are: x = -1, x = 1, x = 4

    c) The y-intercept is f(0) = (-4)(1)(-1) = 4

    d) If x --> -∞ then f(x) --> -∞
    If x --> ∞ then f(x) --> ∞

    e) Because f has the degree 3 there is only possible a point inflection. The centre of symmetry could only be the inflection point. With your function the graph of f is symmetric to the point ((4/3), -(56/27))

    f) see #2: thus 2

    EB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member TheMasterMind's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by juiicycouture View Post
    please indicate which question you are answering, and thanks for your help

    1. Solve the following equation:

    (x+1)^2 - 3(x+1) = 0

    2. What is the maximum possible number of turning points for each of the following functions?

    a) linear function
    b) quadratic function
    c) cubic function
    d) quartic function

    3. For the function f(x) = (x-4)(x+1)(x-1)
    a) find the domain and range
    b) find the real zeros, to the nearest tenth necessary
    c) the y-intercepts
    d) the end behaviour (what is this?)
    e) any symmetry
    f) the number of turning points
    i would approach these by graphing, the simplest way to figure them out. is this MHF4U work?

    2.
    a) no turning points, straight line
    b) one turning point, a simple parabola
    c) two turning points
    d) three turning points
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 23rd 2009, 08:26 PM
  2. Advanced Statistics Questions
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 26th 2009, 03:10 PM
  3. Advanced Functions Math help questions
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 2nd 2009, 11:12 AM
  4. advanced functions intro calc questions
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 23rd 2009, 11:00 AM
  5. 2 really advanced Calculus questions
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 13th 2008, 08:14 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum