Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - image set

  1. #1
    ADY
    ADY is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    188

    image set

    Hi would i be correct in saying that the image set for the following is correct?

    f(x)= \frac{1}{9}(x - 3)^2 - 4

    Closed Interval [-3,9] ?

    Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by ADY View Post
    Hi would i be correct in saying that the image set for the following is correct?

    f(x)= \frac{1}{9}(x - 3)^2 - 4

    Closed Interval [-3,9] ?

    Thanks
    Hi ADY,

    So the image of a function is going to be the set of all output values of F, where the input values consist of the domain of F. I don't see why you restricted your set like you did.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    ADY
    ADY is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    188
    Hi Jameson,

    You're right, but i thought it would be restrictive due to the points crossing the x axis at -3 and 9. What do you suggest, that there could be multiple outputs and should be so restrictive?

    Any help wouldnt go a miss please
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by ADY View Post
    Hi Jameson,

    You're right, but i thought it would be restrictive due to the points crossing the x axis at -3 and 9. What do you suggest, that there could be multiple outputs and should be so restrictive?

    Any help wouldnt go a miss please
    I'm not quite following you.

    This is a parabola, yes? It just has been shifted horizontally and vertically, as well as stretched. Still just a parabola.

    I don't see why crossing the x-axis would cause any problems. As long as the domain remains real, then all values of x are part of the pre-image set and correspond to another value after passing through F.

    I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing some simple idea, but I can't think of it. Take a look at the Wiki page on images:

    Image (mathematics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Jameson; October 25th 2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: edit
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    ADY
    ADY is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    188
    Sorry for being confusing...i'm probably just confused my self, so could f be closed and infinate?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by ADY View Post
    Sorry for being confusing...i'm probably just confused my self, so could f be closed and infinate?
    Don't be sorry!

    I am just trying to be careful because it's easy for me to think you mean one thing when you don't. I don't want to give you wrong advice.

    Is that the whole problem? What did your instructor tell you an image was?

    This is how I view this problem:

    Like I said this is a parabola, so it has a domain of all real numbers. The image of F is the set of outputs over the domain of F, which is all read numbers. So now all we have to do is figure out what y-values make up F. A parabola that opens upwards has it's lowest point at its vertex. Above the vertex the parabola keeps increasing to positive infinity. Agree?

    I think the image set over the domain of F is from the vertex to positive infinity. Does this make sense?

    Is this similar to what you've been hearing in class? If not, can you give me some examples of the info in your book. Maybe it's asking something other than the image of the entire function. It could be asking for an image of some subset.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    ADY
    ADY is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    Don't be sorry!

    I am just trying to be careful because it's easy for me to think you mean one thing when you don't. I don't want to give you wrong advice.

    Is that the whole problem? What did your instructor tell you an image was?

    This is how I view this problem:

    Like I said this is a parabola, so it has a domain of all real numbers. The image of F is the set of outputs over the domain of F, which is all read numbers. So now all we have to do is figure out what y-values make up F. A parabola that opens upwards has it's lowest point at its vertex. Above the vertex the parabola keeps increasing to positive infinity. Agree?

    I think the image set over the domain of F is from the vertex to positive infinity. Does this make sense?

    Is this similar to what you've been hearing in class? If not, can you give me some examples of the info in your book. Maybe it's asking something other than the image of the entire function. It could be asking for an image of some subset.
    Well, firstly you are very sincere and i'm humbled by that as you are the admin of the forum!

    You are viewing the problem correctly, it was just the way i presented it.

    So taking your advice to agree; i agree the parabola opening upwards can continue to positive infinatly. So yes that makes sense.

    So from your advice is it a half open interval, [a,b) and so it would be [-4,∞)?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    1,599
    That looks great to me
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    ADY
    ADY is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    188
    Just to confirm, are my brackets ok?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by ADY View Post
    Just to confirm, are my brackets ok?
    Yes. The vertex is at (3,4) so you should include 4. The reason I was hesitant about this question is that usually you would just be asked for the "range", not the "image". Image is a more generalized idea than range that usually isn't discussed until Linear Algebra in 3rd year college math.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Pre-Image / Image proof
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 9th 2012, 02:30 AM
  2. Image of set
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 27th 2010, 10:47 AM
  3. Image of T
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 23rd 2010, 12:44 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 27th 2009, 12:09 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 16th 2009, 04:17 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum