Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - The distance from centre to chord

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    The distance from centre to chord

    the equation of a circle with centre O(0,0) is x^2+y^2=10
    the points P(1,3) and Q(-3,-1) are endpoints of chord PQ. Find the exact dictance from the centre of the cirlce ot the chord

    ineed helpp!
    this was hw btu our teacher never explained it
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmads121 View Post
    the equation of a circle with centre O(0,0) is x^2+y^2=10
    the points P(1,3) and Q(-3,-1) are endpoints of chord PQ. Find the exact dictance from the centre of the cirlce ot the chord

    ineed helpp!
    this was hw btu our teacher never explained it
    Your question cannot be answered unless you specify where from the chord you want to calculate the distance from. Do you want the perpendicular distance?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Your question cannot be answered unless you specify where from the chord you want to calculate the distance from. Do you want the perpendicular distance?
    yesss the perpindicular distance!
    thnxx
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmads121 View Post
    yesss the perpindicular distance!
    thnxx
    Note that by symmetry, a line drawn from the midpoint of the chord to the centre of the circle is perpendicular to the chord ....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Note that by symmetry, a line drawn from the midpoint of the chord to the centre of the circle is perpendicular to the chord ....
    kaii never mind yur loosing me now confusing me
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmads121 View Post
    kaii never mind yur loosing me now confusing me
    Do you know how to find the midpoint of a line segment drawn between two given points?

    Do you know how to find the distance between two points?

    Do you understand why a line from a chord to the centre of a circle is perpendicular to the chord?

    If you do not understand these things then you do not have the background knowledge necessary to answer the question you posted, in which case you need to go back and review the relevant material.


    Edit: All this stuff was addressed nearly two weeks ago in this thread: http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-he...tor-chord.html. You're expected to have learned something from all the help you got there.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Do you know how to find the midpoint of a line segment drawn between two given points?

    Do you know how to find the distance between two points?

    Do you understand why a line from a chord to the centre of a circle is perpendicular to the chord?

    If you do not understand these things then you do not have the background knowledge necessary to answer the question you posted, in which case you need to go back and review the relevant material.


    Edit: All this stuff was addressed nearly two weeks ago in this thread: http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-he...tor-chord.html. You're expected to have learned something from all the help you got there.
    I can all do all that but this is a different question ineed the shortest distance
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmads121 View Post
    I can all do all that but this is a different question ineed the shortest distance
    The shortest distance is the perpendicular distance. This is evident from symmetry.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 15th 2010, 02:04 PM
  2. Need help with chord length.
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 5th 2009, 10:44 AM
  3. chord
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 18th 2009, 06:56 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 3rd 2009, 10:47 PM
  5. Circle and Chord
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 23rd 2007, 05:10 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum