Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Need help! Minimum Problem

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Need help! Minimum Problem

    Hi

    9t^4 + 6t^2 + 2

    the problem is asking for the value of t at which the graph is at it's minimum.

    what i did was set t^4 to x^2 and t^2 to x. So that means I have 9x^2 + 6x + 2.

    Completing the square and the vertex formula gave me the same answer of -1/3 as x. So setting that equal to t^2 and solving gives me a no solution answer. I tried solving it using the quadratic formula for the hell of it. 36-72 shows up in the radical, which is negative.

    So I'm at a loss, my answer comes out to be undefined.

    But the answer to the problem (as stated in the back of the book) is x=0. Also when I put it in a graphing calculator the minimum is indeed 2 at t=0.

    As far as I know, undefined is not the same as 0. I must be doing something wrong, and I have a feeling that it's something really stupid. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,406
    Thanks
    1294
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyz View Post
    Hi

    9t^4 + 6t^2 + 2

    the problem is asking for the value of t at which the graph is at it's minimum.

    what i did was set t^4 to x^2 and t^2 to x. So that means I have 9x^2 + 6x + 2.

    Completing the square and the vertex formula gave me the same answer of -1/3 as x. So setting that equal to t^2 and solving gives me a no solution answer. I tried solving it using the quadratic formula for the hell of it. 36-72 shows up in the radical, which is negative.

    So I'm at a loss, my answer comes out to be undefined.

    But the answer to the problem (as stated in the back of the book) is x=0. Also when I put it in a graphing calculator the minimum is indeed 2 at t=0.

    As far as I know, undefined is not the same as 0. I must be doing something wrong, and I have a feeling that it's something really stupid. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    I can't think of a way to answer this question without using calculus...

    With calculus...

    y = 9t^4 + 6t^2 + 2

    \frac{dy}{dt} = 36t^3 + 12t

    0 = 36t^3 + 12t

    0 = 12t(3t^2 + 1)

    12t = 0 or 3t^2 + 1 = 0.

    Clearly the only possible solution is t = 0.


    Now to check that it is a minimum...

    \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = 108t^2 + 12

    At t = 0, \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = 12 > 0.

    Thus there is a minimum at t = 0.


    At t = 0, y = 2.

    So the minimum is (t, y) = (0, 2).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    I can't think of a way to answer this question without using calculus...

    With calculus...

    y = 9t^4 + 6t^2 + 2

    \frac{dy}{dt} = 36t^3 + 12t

    0 = 36t^3 + 12t

    0 = 12t(3t^2 + 1)

    12t = 0 or 3t^2 + 1 = 0.

    Clearly the only possible solution is t = 0.


    Now to check that it is a minimum...

    \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = 108t^2 + 12

    At t = 0, \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = 12 > 0.

    Thus there is a minimum at t = 0.


    At t = 0, y = 2.

    So the minimum is (t, y) = (0, 2).
    thank you for your reply. but there's no way this can be the only way to do it (unless the book is wrong, which it actually is in some cases believe it or not)

    this is way over MY head as well as way over anything in the text book. what you posted above is completely foreign.

    The only tools that this class has provided is the vertex formula and completing the square for minimums. And also changing equations that are closely related to a quadratic into a quadratic. For example x^4 + x^2 + c into t^2 + t + c. Then setting what you find in the quadratic equation equal to the x^2 in the original. For example t=x^2. 3=x^2. root 3=x.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyz View Post
    Hi

    9t^4 + 6t^2 + 2

    the problem is asking for the value of t at which the graph is at it's minimum.

    what i did was set t^4 to x^2 and t^2 to x. So that means I have 9x^2 + 6x + 2.

    Completing the square and the vertex formula gave me the same answer of -1/3 as x. So setting that equal to t^2 and solving gives me a no solution answer. I tried solving it using the quadratic formula for the hell of it. 36-72 shows up in the radical, which is negative.

    So I'm at a loss, my answer comes out to be undefined.

    But the answer to the problem (as stated in the back of the book) is x=0. Also when I put it in a graphing calculator the minimum is indeed 2 at t=0.

    As far as I know, undefined is not the same as 0. I must be doing something wrong, and I have a feeling that it's something really stupid. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    (3t^2 + 1)^2 + 1 is a minimum when 3t^2 + 1 is a minimum. 3t^2 + 1 is a minimum when t = 0.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    (3t^2 + 1)^2 + 1 is a minimum when 3t^2 + 1 is a minimum. 3t^2 + 1 is a minimum when t = 0.
    can you please explain to me how you came to this conclusion? I really appreciate it
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,406
    Thanks
    1294
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyz View Post
    can you please explain to me how you came to this conclusion? I really appreciate it
    Mr F has noticed that

    y = 9t^4 + 6t^2 + 2

     = 9t^4 + 6t^2 + 1 + 1

     = (3t^2 + 1)^2 + 1

     = x^2 + 1 if x = 3t^2 + 1.


    So the minimum value for y will occur where x is at its minimum.

    So in other words, we need to minimise 3t^2 + 1.

    I think you can see that that happens where t= 0.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 21st 2011, 12:12 PM
  2. Stuck on a Minimum Value Problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 1st 2010, 09:45 PM
  3. Maximum & Minimum Problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 24th 2010, 06:51 PM
  4. Maximum/Minimum Problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 10th 2009, 01:45 AM
  5. Minimum value problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 19th 2009, 03:55 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum