Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree1Thanks

Math Help - The Mega Cheat Sheet Project

  1. #1
    Newbie dexterkyy's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1

    Thumbs up The Mega Cheat Sheet Project

    Hi there,

    I'm in the midst of compiling a non-exhaustive list of mathematical formulas, statistical tables and commonly used constants. In the not so distant future, i hope to publish it. As a student myself, I often find myself having to refer back and forth my texts to retreive formulas and constants. Despite my maths lecturer's advice to derive them from other known formulas(as in trigo), it is far more expeditious to complete tutorials and assignments with a handy cheatsheat.

    The target audience for the booklet is for students in science/engineering. It is intended for use in secondary to higher education. While every attempt has been made to verify the correctness of the formulas, there might be discrepancies with the formulas etc..

    And so i welcome any comments from the layout to the formulas! For the benefit of mankind!


    Updates

    Version: Beta 1.3
    Updated as of 23th Sep 09.

    * Eqn(15.4.1) - Changed formula to reflect General Formula for Mechanical Work Done
    * Water Marking Reduced
    * High Res Printing Allowed
    * Enabled text access for screen reader devices for visually impaired

    Download link below:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dexterkyy; September 23rd 2009 at 03:41 AM.
    Thanks from Rebesques
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    I like the guide a lot, two suggestions if I may though

    1) A table of SI prefixes would be nice, nano - giga is simply enough but for atomic radii as an example it may help to know fm and pm.

    2) It would be nice to be able to copy and paste from your guide, especially for the value of constants but this is not possible (at least on my pc) because of DRM
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie dexterkyy's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by e^(i*pi) View Post
    I like the guide a lot, two suggestions if I may though

    1) A table of SI prefixes would be nice, nano - giga is simply enough but for atomic radii as an example it may help to know fm and pm.

    2) It would be nice to be able to copy and paste from your guide, especially for the value of constants but this is not possible (at least on my pc) because of DRM

    1) good idea pi, a table of SI prefixes will definitely be very useful to the americans
    2) DRM removed, printing and copying allowed, hope that helps
    Last edited by dexterkyy; September 12th 2009 at 08:49 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor arbolis's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    From
    Teyateyaneng
    Posts
    1,000
    Awards
    1
    Page 13 out of 32.
    Part 9.2, shouldn't be |J| instead of J?
    In the double integral I mean.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie dexterkyy's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by arbolis View Post
    Page 13 out of 32.
    Part 9.2, shouldn't be |J| instead of J?
    In the double integral I mean.

    The J was suppose to denote the Jacobian Determinant. But I reckon the single J without the modulus brackets could be misread as the Jacobian matrix. Thanks arbolis, i'll revise with notations to indicate the below.

     |J|=\frac {\partial (x,y)} {\partial (r,s)}  = <br />
\begin{array}{cc}<br />
\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} \\ <br />
\frac{\partial y}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}<br />
\end{array}<br />
, where |J| is the Jacobian Determinant.
    Last edited by dexterkyy; September 12th 2009 at 05:28 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by dexterkyy View Post
    Hi there,

    I'm in the midst of compiling a non-exhaustive list of mathematical formulas, statistical tables and commonly used constants. In the not so distant future, i hope to publish it. As a student myself, I often find myself having to refer back and forth my texts to retreive formulas and constants. Despite my maths lecturer's advice to derive them from other known formulas(as in trigo), it is far more expeditious to complete tutorials and assignments with a handy cheatsheat.

    The target audience for the booklet is for students in science/engineering. It is intended for use in secondary to higher education. While every attempt has been made to verify the correctness of the formulas, there might be discrepancies with the formulas etc..

    And so i welcome any comments from the layout to the formulas! For the benefit of mankind!


    Updates
    Version: Beta 1.2a
    Updated as of 13th Sep 09.

    * Eqn(9.2.1) - Added notation for Jacobian Determinant
    * Eqn(8.4.2) - Addded Leibnitz’s form for Chain Rule
    * Header version
    * Low Res printing allowed

    Download link below:
    The idea has been done before, I have at least two (possibly three) handbooks with this material. The only new thing that I see here so far is the z-transform material.

    (I would suggest a different title may be advisable)

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie dexterkyy's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    thanks captain well I first started compiling mine initially for easier reference and it just grew, so im hoping to share this with those who needs a mega cheat sheet. Are u referring to the title of the booklet or z-transform?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Member jonah's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dexterkyy View Post
    it is far more expeditious to complete tutorials and assignments with a handy cheatsheat.
    I prefer to call them "instant reference sheet" or "permanent memory-aid sheet"
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor Swlabr's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,176
    Page 26 - I'm pretty sure there is no integral to find anything called "Word Done". I am willing to be proved wrong though.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Newbie dexterkyy's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swlabr View Post
    Page 26 - I'm pretty sure there is no integral to find anything called "Word Done". I am willing to be proved wrong though.

    Thanks for pointing this out, Sect 15.4 should read as "Work Done"
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by dexterkyy View Post
    Hi there,

    I'm in the midst of compiling a non-exhaustive list of mathematical formulas, statistical tables and commonly used constants. In the not so distant future, i hope to publish it. As a student myself, I often find myself having to refer back and forth my texts to retreive formulas and constants. Despite my maths lecturer's advice to derive them from other known formulas(as in trigo), it is far more expeditious to complete tutorials and assignments with a handy cheatsheat.

    The target audience for the booklet is for students in science/engineering. It is intended for use in secondary to higher education. While every attempt has been made to verify the correctness of the formulas, there might be discrepancies with the formulas etc..

    And so i welcome any comments from the layout to the formulas! For the benefit of mankind!


    Updates

    Version: Beta 1.3
    Updated as of 23th Sep 09.

    * Eqn(15.4.1) - Changed formula to reflect General Formula for Mechanical Work Done
    * Water Marking Reduced
    * High Res Printing Allowed
    * Enabled text access for screen reader devices for visually impaired

    Download link below:
    where can i get a copy of the finished cheat sheet??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Member Focus's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    228
    (17.1.2) on the last page should be x+1=\overline{x}.

    I don't know if you will be able to publish it, but I don't understand why you are so restrictive of it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Comments on Beta 1.3

    5.3.2 font on the "f" of "if" should be normal rather than slant/italic.

    6.2.1 to 6.2.6 font of functions should not be slant/italic, prefix function names with "\" or use "text{ .. }" to ger normal font.

    Generally use brackets around the arguments of functions (even the trig functions)

    13.1 Iteration is not a good title for this section

    13.6 Page break in inappropriate position

    13.7.3 Heun's method has more common names than listed

    13.7.4 Page break in inappropriate position

    14.41 to 14.42 spacing

    Page 27, 29, .. the tables of distributions needs titles



    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    1
    There are refrence cards available at most university book stores. They're usualy restricted to one particular topic, and, usualy, to only one particular course in that topic. For instance, there is a logic card that only convers basic defnitions, truth tabels, and the like. There is a calculus 1 card that only has the definitions, and the computations of various derivitives
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #15
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris11 View Post
    There are refrence cards available at most university book stores. They're usualy restricted to one particular topic, and, usualy, to only one particular course in that topic. For instance, there is a logic card that only convers basic defnitions, truth tabels, and the like. There is a calculus 1 card that only has the definitions, and the computations of various derivitives
    And does that mean that the Scham Mathematical Handbook and its like do not exist?

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Probability MEGA help
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 5th 2010, 01:30 PM
  2. Topics on a cheat sheet
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 4th 2010, 05:50 PM
  3. Dielectric sheet - Find speed with which electron crosses sheet?
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 26th 2010, 12:05 PM
  4. Mega Help on Related Rates (Calculus)
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 8th 2007, 03:19 AM
  5. Review sheet
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 29th 2007, 08:49 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum