Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Math Help - .999... = 1?

  1. #31
    Super Member angel.white's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    723
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Therein lies the nonsense!
    This is not about belief. In fact, any good program in mathematics training teaches that the word “belief” is a no-no. A mathematician may say “I think…” but may not say “I belive…”. Mathematics is not a system of “beliefs”. Mathematics is a system of axioms. That is a matter of ‘acceptance’ and not a matter of belief.
    Pure semantics.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    Listen to what Plato and CaptainBlank said they know what they are talking about (unlike many in this thread).

    In order to understand what this perfectly you need to understand, "what is a number". And many people who (I should say everyone) is not a mathematician does not have a strong enough understanding of what this seemigly simple (yet not so trivial) question really means. Once you understand that you will realize how pathetic your argument is.
    I accept the possibility that you may be right, but I cannot see how it can work, therefore I cannot accept it. To say "accept someone else's conclusion" is to say "take it on faith" and I cannot do that.

    I don't see why you're on the rag over this, the difference isn't enough to change an outcome, and I never suggested anyone else think like I do.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #32
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by angel.white View Post
    I accept the possibility that you may be right, but I cannot see how it can work, therefore I cannot accept it.
    There is no possibility. We are right, completely right and not other mathematician will say otherwise.
    To say "accept someone else's conclusion" is to say "take it on faith" and I cannot do that.
    Why not? I do that a lot in math. For example, many theorems in vector analysis I do not know the proofs to them (because the books spends many many pages proving them in the appendix) but I still accept them and use them. But my goal is when I become better in my understanding of Analysis that I will understand these theorems. So you should just accept what we are saying and try to within a certain amount to time to understand why we are right.

    I don't see why you're on the rag over this...
    1)Because (like you were told many times) you are completely wrong. And any of your arguments are so so wrong. It is not even a possibility to be correct. That is why mathematicians hate when people do these things.

    2)You are talking about things you have very little understaning of. I would never join a group of physicists and talk string theory with them because I have no understanding of it. What I tell people is: first learn the rules before you want to try to change them. Same situation here before you want to propose any other explanation first learn the known rules. Otherwise it is plan stupid like the string theory analogy.

    ... and I never suggested anyone else think like I do.
    We are making you think our way because your way of thinking is absolutely wrong. (Part of the reason why you are wrong is that you assume that a decimal expansion of a number must be unique. Why do you assume that?)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #33
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Like Angel.White I also struggle to understand this.

    I agree with a proof like this:

    n = 0,99999...

    10n = 9,99999...

    10n - n = 9

    9n = 9

    n = 1

    So that proves that 0,9999... = 1

    BUT(And this is where i doubt whether the above is true):

    Doesn't this work like a hyperbola? Where it is always TENDING to become 1, but never really does?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #34
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    Like Angel.White I also struggle to understand this.

    I agree with a proof like this:

    n = 0,99999...

    10n = 9,99999...
    You are just playing with symbols and notation, start with this question:

    What does 0.9999... mean?

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #35
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    You are just playing with symbols and notation, start with this question:

    What does 0.9999... mean?

    RonL
    It is a number that gets so close to 1 that we can assume it is 1.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #36
    Super Member angel.white's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    723
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    There is no possibility. We are right, completely right and not other mathematician will say otherwise.
    might makes right eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    Why not? I do that a lot in math. For example, many theorems in vector analysis I do not know the proofs to them (because the books spends many many pages proving them in the appendix) but I still accept them and use them. But my goal is when I become better in my understanding of Analysis that I will understand these theorems. So you should just accept what we are saying and try to within a certain amount to time to understand why we are right.
    It is one thing to accept a conclusion as the most likely answer (for example, I accept evolution as the most likely answer to why I am here), but it is entirely different to just shut down your brain. You say "I do that a lot in math" and I believe that is very dangerous for anyone to do about anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    1)Because (like you were told many times) you are completely wrong. And any of your arguments are so so wrong. It is not even a possibility to be correct. That is why mathematicians hate when people do these things.
    Mate, from your perspective, if you answer "1" and I answer ".9repeating", I am equally correct...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker View Post
    Same situation here before you want to propose any other explanation first learn the known rules. Otherwise it is plan stupid like the string theory analogy.
    This is why I hate talking to people who believe on faith, show me one place where I "proposed" this. Fact is, I merely said I couldn't convince myself that this was the case, but as is typical with people who think with emotions, you think I'm trying to destroy everything you believe in.

    Look at CaptianBlack, he disagrees with me, but he isn't starting up an inquisition over the matter.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #37
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by angel.white View Post
    You say "I do that a lot in math" and I believe that is very dangerous for anyone to do about anything.
    I know my math very well. I have been accepting on faith certain theorems but understanding from where they come from. Then what is so dangerous?

    Mate, from your perspective, if you answer "1" and I answer ".9repeating", I am equally correct.
    You can answer a problem that way.
    ---

    First learn what a "real number" is. Here.

    Then you can maybe understand this. Here (the real correct proofs start from where it says 'real analysis').
    ---

    This "paradox" (how people think of it) is one of those thinks that people for some reason how difficulty understanind. (Another example is the Monty Hall problem).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #38
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    It is a number that gets so close to 1 that we can assume it is 1.
    A number is itself, it is going nowhere, so how can it get close to 1.

    You are not being precise enough.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum