Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18

    Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

    What are the number of solutions in natural Numbers to the following linear equation in three variables...


    3x+4y+5z=200


    Can there be a general form for the number of solutions for this type of equation:

    ax+by+cz=d
    a,b,c,d,x,y,z belong to Natural Numbers
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,956
    Thanks
    1780
    Awards
    1

    Re: Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

    Quote Originally Posted by rickrishav View Post
    What are the number of solutions in natural Numbers to the following linear equation in three variables...
    3x+4y+5z=200
    Can there be a general form for the number of solutions for this type of equation:
    ax+by+cz=d
    a,b,c,d,x,y,z belong to Natural Numbers
    I take it that 0\in\mathbb{N}.
    To solve 3x+4y+5z=200, consider the coefficient of x^{200} in the expansion of
    \left( {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{66} {x^{3k} } } \right)\left( {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{50} {x^{4k} } } \right)\left( {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{40} {x^{5k} } } \right)

    If zero is not a natural number, begin the sums at one.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18

    Re: Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

    But finding the coefficeint of x^{200} by counting, is equivalent to listing down all the solutions of the original equation and counting them up. How can I proceed to find the coefficient in a more efficient manner?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,956
    Thanks
    1780
    Awards
    1

    Re: Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

    Quote Originally Posted by rickrishav View Post
    But finding the coefficeint of x^{200} by counting, is equivalent to listing down all the solutions of the original equation and counting them up. How can I proceed to find the coefficient in a more efficient manner?
    I truly mean you no offence, but I don't think you understand this problem. There is no more efficient manner other than the one I gave you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor alexmahone's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,074
    Thanks
    7

    Re: Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    I truly mean you no offence, but I don't think you understand this problem. There is no more efficient manner other than the one I gave you.
    I think the OP doesn't understand how he's supposed to find the coefficient of x^{200} in your formula. Perhaps you could complete the solution and find the answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,956
    Thanks
    1780
    Awards
    1

    Re: Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

    Quote Originally Posted by alexmahone View Post
    I think the OP doesn't understand how he's supposed to find the coefficient of x^{200} in your formula. Perhaps you could complete the solution and find the answer.
    To do that one either uses a computer algebra system or does a course of study in generating function theory.
    BTW. I disagree that is what the OP means.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Senior Member roninpro's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    485

    Re: Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    I take it that 0\in\mathbb{N}.
    To solve 3x+4y+5z=200, consider the coefficient of x^{200} in the expansion of
    \left( {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{66} {x^{3k} } } \right)\left( {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{50} {x^{4k} } } \right)\left( {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{40} {x^{5k} } } \right)

    If zero is not a natural number, begin the sums at one.
    I'm a little confused by this approach. Is it really necessary to use generating functions to count up the number of desired solutions? It seems more conceptually straightforward to find the parameterisation of the solutions (x,y,z) and then attempt to count solutions from there.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,956
    Thanks
    1780
    Awards
    1

    Re: Number of solutions in Natural Numbers to linear equation in three variables

    Quote Originally Posted by roninpro View Post
    I'm a little confused by this approach. Is it really necessary to use generating functions to count up the number of desired solutions? It seems more conceptually straightforward to find the parameterisation of the solutions (x,y,z) and then attempt to count solutions from there.
    Please, do show us your method.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 11th 2011, 03:29 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 14th 2011, 07:43 PM
  3. Show that for any number q that is an element of Natural Numbers
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 12th 2011, 05:04 PM
  4. Number of solutions to linear equation
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 20th 2010, 08:34 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 29th 2009, 04:30 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum