Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Math Help - MIT OpenCourseWare

  1. #1
    Super Member craig's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1

    MIT OpenCourseWare

    Just came across this site, wondering what your thoughts are on it?

    They have published their lectures online, making it available for people to study online, and presumably take an exam at the end of it?

    Could be a good place to go if you miss some notes in class, want some extra help?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member Ruun's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    From
    North of Spain
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    13
    I'm thinking in the differential equations course, as introduction to my actual differential equations course next year, and in the linear algebra one, to review all that good stuff, so I will comment later.

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Just came across this site, wondering what your thoughts are on it?

    They have published their lectures online, making it available for people to study online, and presumably take an exam at the end of it?

    Could be a good place to go if you miss some notes in class, want some extra help?
    I have been checking the site out, especially their advanced computer science stuff, just to read through it, but I only found homework problems in the zip folders. I'm not sure if it's the same for the math courses as well. Maybe the more advanced courses in maths will also tell you to work from a specified textbook.

    EDIT: Scratch this. I went there again now and it seems they've updated it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member craig's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    EDIT: Scratch this. I went there again now and it seems they've updated it.
    Obviously you have a lot more experience than me with higher level maths, would you say this is a good resource for someone who is going to be studying maths at university this September, me for example
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Obviously you have a lot more experience than me with higher level maths, would you say this is a good resource for someone who is going to be studying maths at university this September, me for example
    To be quite honest, I don't have a lot of experience, I'm only in my second year now.

    The only math and math-related subjects I've taken so far are:
    • Calculus 1
    • Linear Algebra 1
    • Descriptive Statistics and Probabilities
    • Matlab
    • Mathematical Modelling


    But since you asked, I did take a look at their Calculus 1 syllabus (very likely that you'll be doing that module), and it's just about identical to what I did in my first year. If I worked through that bunch of notes (MIT OpenCourseWare | Mathematics | 18.01 Single Variable Calculus, Fall 2005 | Lecture Notes) and then went to study at my university, it would have given me quite a boost.

    I do suggest you ask someone in your area/country to take a look at it though, they'll give you a much better answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member craig's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    But since you asked, I did take a look at their Calculus 1 syllabus (very likely that you'll be doing that module), and it's just about identical to what I did in my first year. If I worked through that bunch of notes (MIT OpenCourseWare | Mathematics | 18.01 Single Variable Calculus, Fall 2005 | Lecture Notes) and then went to study at my university, it would have given me quite a boost.
    Thanks, will take a look at this after my exams

    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    I do suggest you ask someone in your area/country to take a look at it though, they'll give you a much better answer.
    *runs off to find CaptainBlack*
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member Rebesques's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2005
    From
    At my house.
    Posts
    543
    Thanks
    12
    Could be a good place to go if you miss some notes in class, want some extra help?


    Νot sure about this man. Maybe the best thing to do is download all the advanced stuff, take a few days off work, and get down with it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Super Member craig's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebesques View Post
    Νot sure about this man. Maybe the best thing to do is download all the advanced stuff, take a few days off work, and get down with it.
    How do you mean? I meant that if you missed a lecture on a particular topic, this could provide some extra help?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    How do you mean? I meant that if you missed a lecture on a particular topic, this could provide some extra help?
    But do you think you're going to find a lecture that will be about exactly what you missed ?
    Also, the methods aren't necessarily the same. So take it with care if you just want these courses as compliments of your own lectures
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Super Member craig's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    But do you think you're going to find a lecture that will be about exactly what you missed ?
    No chance, but there could still be some useful points in there couldn't there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Also, the methods aren't necessarily the same. So take it with care if you just want these courses as compliments of your own lectures
    I know different people teach things differently, was just saying that it wouldn't do any harm to have these to look over would it?

    I have not actually started University yet so cannot comment on how useful these would be, but thank you for the information
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Member Awsom Guy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    From
    Mars
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Just came across this site, wondering what your thoughts are on it?

    They have published their lectures online, making it available for people to study online, and presumably take an exam at the end of it?

    Could be a good place to go if you miss some notes in class, want some extra help?
    Thats not bad.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    A forrest
    Posts
    162
    Awards
    1
    A few courses I wanted to look at in their open courseware actually want you to purchase the book when you take it because they don't have the files online.

    That sounds reasonable, but all the material you learn is from the book and if you don't have the book for it, you can't really do the course...I mean you could but yeah .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    364
    I found many of their lectures enormously useful. Remember that not all courses have full lecture recordings. Those that do are very good. Especially the multi-variable calculus, linear algebra (main ones I've watched parts of). Was a good complement to my formal lectures.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thank you very mnuch. This looks very helpful.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9
    I think it is great, I had some maths during university but it is nice to keep up a bit with it!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum