Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Plato
  • 1 Post By romsek
  • 1 Post By SlipEternal

Thread: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    From
    England
    Posts
    78

    Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    I am horrified on the delivery of maths via powerpoint presentation with some professor zapping away at an equation with a laser pen talking sh*t for an hour. To add insult to injury, in the U.K you're looking at 9k per year for tuition fees. What happened to the chalk-and-talk chaps? The guys who can reproduce everything they know from scratch over and over again. That, in my eyes, is high quality education.

    I had poor attendance for a good reason, my day would be more productive if I self-taught myself and frog jumped the boring PowerPoint. The MIT open course ware is brilliant (chalk-and-talk) but lacks rigor.

    So in conclusion, please chuck your projectors in the bin and remove Microsoft PowerPoint off your hard drive.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    22,034
    Thanks
    2946
    Awards
    1

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    Quote Originally Posted by PilgrimsPath View Post
    I am horrified on the delivery of maths via powerpoint presentation with some professor zapping away at an equation with a laser pen talking sh*t for an hour. To add insult to injury, in the U.K you're looking at 9k per year for tuition fees. What happened to the chalk-and-talk chaps? The guys who can reproduce everything they know from scratch over and over again. That, in my eyes, is high quality education.
    I had poor attendance for a good reason, my day would be more productive if I self-taught myself and frog jumped the boring PowerPoint. The MIT open course ware is brilliant (chalk-and-talk) but lacks rigor.
    So in conclusion, please chuck your projectors in the bin and remove Microsoft PowerPoint off your hard drive.
    There is a huge fallacy in your arguments: you have not considered the nature of the today student.
    Today's students, in fact nearly all learners under thirty, are simply wedded to the small screen.
    In my own experience, we had a very fine instructor who banded small screen devices from his lectures. All well and good. But the next term not a single person signed up for any of his lectures. Our Dean to me that we would honor his contract, but unless he changed that policy he would not be employed. He in now working for NASA. It may surprise you, but I absolutely agree with you on this. But it ain't going to happen. Think about it: posting PowerPoint lessons, posting videos of lectures on a course-website allows students to see material and/or review he may have missed or even if she was in class. Even in the UK, universities now must have students. I was at U of Manchester in the early 1970's, that was not the case as far as I know. The fact that you and I do not like today's delivery of University instruction is not going to change anything.
    Last edited by Plato; Nov 5th 2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    6,269
    Thanks
    2678

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    I can't say I agree with the original post. Even 30 yrs ago when I was in school I found handouts and viewgraph presentations just as good and chalk and talks and frequently better.

    Professors never got lost in viewgraph presentations. They frequently did (depressingly so) during chalk and talks.

    With handouts you weren't scrambling to get everything copied down so you could focus on understanding the material, or at least noting what you didn't understand.

    Finally poor handwriting on the professor's part, also depressingly common, wasn't a factor.

    These days with everything being a few clicks away on the web I would be angry paying money for a class that didn't have class notes readily available on the web.
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    From
    England
    Posts
    78

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    So basically, the system needs to be dumbed down because the majority of students that make the money for the university are half-arsed in their discipline they've chosen?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    6,269
    Thanks
    2678

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    Quote Originally Posted by PilgrimsPath View Post
    So basically, the system needs to be dumbed down because the majority of students that make the money for the university are half-arsed in their discipline they've chosen?
    you must be great fun at parties.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    From
    England
    Posts
    78

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    I'm great at parties are you? How disciplined are you? I believe in Sparta.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    22,034
    Thanks
    2946
    Awards
    1

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    Quote Originally Posted by PilgrimsPath View Post
    So basically, the system needs to be dumbed down because the majority of students that make the money for the university are half-arsed in their discipline they've chosen?
    Are you so self-centered as not to see that today's students benefit enormously from our using technology in delivering instruction. You showed your myopia in calling this a dumbing-down of university education.
    While I agree with you that on-line courses are generally problematic, I think that every course should have a web-site where source material is made available. I say to you: GROW-UP.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Member
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    From
    England
    Posts
    78

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    My ideal system is no mercy. I believe in Sparta. This principle will produce die-hard mathematicians. There's no time for uncertainty in maths. If maths comes second to you in life, then you're not in my league. In my division, maths is more important than marriage. More important than having children. It's the sacrifice you make in order to unlock natures secrets.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,683
    Thanks
    1492

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    Quote Originally Posted by PilgrimsPath View Post
    My ideal system is no mercy. I believe in Sparta. This principle will produce die-hard mathematicians. There's no time for uncertainty in maths. If maths comes second to you in life, then you're not in my league. In my division, maths is more important than marriage. More important than having children. It's the sacrifice you make in order to unlock natures secrets.
    I disagree. With your style of training, it is unlikely we would ever be graced with genius like this:

    https://www.wired.com/story/a-math-g...ers-his-field/
    Thanks from romsek
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2016
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    91

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    Quote Originally Posted by romsek View Post
    you must be great fun at parties.
    Don't attack the person's alleged personality. Attack their points.

    Your saying is one of the many non-arguments passed along in message boards.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Member
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    From
    England
    Posts
    78

    Re: Just a rant on the quality of today's education

    Oh wow, I've got a fan.

    Today's world is brutal. I need mathematicians to shut me down and make me come back stronger.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. place of formal education
    Posted in the New Users Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 8th 2016, 02:07 AM
  2. education
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 21st 2013, 10:49 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 21st 2013, 02:26 AM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum