Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    1

    Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

    So I'm currently enrolled in Calc III and a sort of intro to abstract math class, but I'm trying to make up my mind on classes for next semester. Linear Algebra and Probability Theory are on the schedule now, but I have options (I think) for the others as well. I'd prefer not picking up two as I have other requirements to take care of, and the first two certainly open doors for more classes.
    any ideas?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A Plied Mathematician
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    From
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6,318
    Thanks
    5
    Awards
    2

    Re: Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

    I'd recommend Linear Algebra before taking Abstract Algebra. What is Intermediate Analysis at your uni? Topology is good to take early - any time after Calc III, I'd say.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    1

    Re: Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

    Intermediate Analysis is described as dealing with sequences, series, metric spaces, continuity and differentiation. The assigned book is Walter Rudin's book which I've leafed through a little. It does have a pre-req of linear, but they seem lenient about pre-reqs becoming co-reqs if you are comfortable taking them at the same time. actually all of the courses have a pre-req of linear.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    A Plied Mathematician
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    From
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6,318
    Thanks
    5
    Awards
    2

    Re: Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

    I would go ahead and treat Linear, then, as a full pre-requisite for Intermediate Analysis. Rudin will make more sense, I think, if you've had linear algebra. You also want to make sure that you've had some sort of proofs course (could be your linear algebra course, depending on how it's taught) to get ready for Rudin.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    1

    Re: Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackbeet View Post
    I would go ahead and treat Linear, then, as a full pre-requisite for Intermediate Analysis. Rudin will make more sense, I think, if you've had linear algebra. You also want to make sure that you've had some sort of proofs course (could be your linear algebra course, depending on how it's taught) to get ready for Rudin.
    Yeah, I'm in a class called bridge to abstract math that deals with some logic, set theory, and group theory. It's definitely a proofs course I would say. I'll check it all out.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    A Plied Mathematician
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    From
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6,318
    Thanks
    5
    Awards
    2

    Re: Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

    Quote Originally Posted by eulcer View Post
    Yeah, I'm in a class called bridge to abstract math that deals with some logic, set theory, and group theory. It's definitely a proofs course I would say. I'll check it all out.
    That sounds like the sort of thing you should have under your belt. If you've had Calc III, your proofs course, and Linear, then I'd say you're ready for Rudin. Have fun!
    I'd recommend reading this review of Rudin's book on Amazon. Rudin has some issues, but I would recommend this guy's learning style for learning Rudin. The review in question is the one entitled "Book should be called 'Tada! You're a mathematican!' ", by Bolzano Bourbaki.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    1

    Re: Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackbeet View Post
    That sounds like the sort of thing you should have under your belt. If you've had Calc III, your proofs course, and Linear, then I'd say you're ready for Rudin. Have fun!
    I'd recommend reading this review of Rudin's book on Amazon. Rudin has some issues, but I would recommend this guy's learning style for learning Rudin. The review in question is the one entitled "Book should be called 'Tada! You're a mathematican!' ", by Bolzano Bourbaki.
    Yeah, I have a copy of the international version I picked up last year.
    I'll check both of those out though. Thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    A Plied Mathematician
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    From
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6,318
    Thanks
    5
    Awards
    2

    Re: Elementary Abstact Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, or Intro to Topology

    You're welcome. Have a good one!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Intro Topology - Proving these statements
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 30th 2010, 04:25 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 4th 2009, 07:01 PM
  3. Basic Abstact Algebra Proof
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 13th 2008, 10:46 PM
  4. Help with Proof intro topology
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 1st 2007, 07:28 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 2nd 2007, 07:12 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum