Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - p (density) = m (mass)/V (volume) problem

  1. #1
    s3a
    s3a is offline
    Super Member
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    597

    p (density) = m (mass)/V (volume) problem

    I know that p=m/v but I still have no idea how to answer this word problem:

    "b) Calculate the density of a mixture of 40% antifreeze and 60% water, if there is a 5% decrease in total volume when they are mixed."

    and just in case this question needs the previous question since they are both part of the same number, here is the previous question (which I figured out how to do):

    "a) Calculate the mass of a four-litre jug of antifreeze (ignore the mass of the plastic container) if the density of antifreeze is 800 kb/m^3."
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member arpitagarwal82's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    103
    consider mixing 40 m^3 of antifreez and 60 m^3 of water.

    Mass of resultant mixure = 40 x 800 + 60 x 1000 (considering density of water as 1000k/m^3 .check it)
    = 92000

    Volume of resultant mixure = 100 - 5 = 95 (since there is decrese of 5% volume)

    density = m/v
    = 92000/95 Answewr
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    s3a
    s3a is offline
    Super Member
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by arpitagarwal82 View Post
    consider mixing 40 m^3 of antifreez and 60 m^3 of water.

    Mass of resultant mixure = 40 x 800 + 60 x 1000 (considering density of water as 1000k/m^3 .check it)
    = 92000

    Volume of resultant mixure = 100 - 5 = 95 (since there is decrese of 5% volume)

    density = m/v
    = 92000/95 Answewr
    How did you get m^3 out of %?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member arpitagarwal82's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    103
    mixture has 40% AF and 60& water.
    so every 100 m^3 has 40 m^3 AF and 60 m^3 water.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    s3a
    s3a is offline
    Super Member
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by arpitagarwal82 View Post
    mixture has 40% AF and 60& water.
    so every 100 m^3 has 40 m^3 AF and 60 m^3 water.
    So it could have been like every 1000m^3 has 400m^3 of Antifreeze and 600m^3 of water?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member arpitagarwal82's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by s3a View Post
    So it could have been like every 1000m^3 has 400m^3 of Antifreeze and 600m^3 of water?
    yes
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Volume using mass and density.
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 15th 2011, 05:57 PM
  2. Mass, Density, And Volume (what units?)
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 14th 2011, 08:55 AM
  3. Density, Volume, Mass
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 9th 2008, 05:57 PM
  4. Volume, Density. Mass
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 9th 2008, 04:15 PM
  5. Volume, Density, Mass
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 9th 2008, 03:49 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum