..I'm trying to help out my girlfriend with some of these physics questions, but it's been a while since I've studied this material. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
1. Light passes from a crown glass container into water. Will the angle of refraction be
(1) greater than, (2) equal to, or (3) less than the angle of incidence? Explain your answer.
Mr F says: Comparing the refractive indices of each medium will suggest the answer ....
2. A person lying at poolside looks over the edge of the pool and sees a bottle cap on the bottom, directly below. If the depth of the pool is 3.2 m, how far below the water surface does the bottle cap appear to be?
Mr F says: Read this Apparent depth - Phys111 and this Apparent Depth in Optics
3. At what angle to the surface must a submerged diver in a lake look toward the surface to see the setting sun just along the horizon?
Mr F says: The critical angle. You'll need the refactive index of water to calculate it.
4. A crown glass plate 2.5 cm thick is placed over a newspaper. How far beneath the top surface of the plate would the print appear to be if you were looking almost vertically downward through the plate?
Mr F says: See Q3. Note that the 'actual depth' is 2.5 cm.